British Library releases over a million public domain images

Overheard at the publisher’s monthly meeting…
Editor: “What is this?!?!?!”
Illustrator: “I thought we’d try a blue shirt this month, and maybe not have it quite as ripped open…i mean they will still be being attacked by crabs and everything…i just thought…”
Editor: “You thought wrong! You’re FIRED!!! You’ll never work in this industry again!”

5 Likes

Goddamn it. I should read other posts before posting?

But those are snapping turtles, and snapping turtles will fuck you up - especially if you’re a baby watermelon.

And don’t get me started on nihilist marmots.

2 Likes

Don’cha mean adorable?

1 Like

Well, when you crop it that way… I am definitely seeing a case for the idea that ripping is basically just enhanced nuzzling.

1 Like

@frauenfelder - You are welcome! :smile:

16 Likes

I think it’s a bit of a shame this post about the release of pictures from the British Library has been hijacked by ‘Man’s Life’ covers.

I think this stuff from the British Library is a goldmine. Makes me want to make a game just featuring art from it.

Where are all of these coming from? I had originally thought these were part of the collection referenced in the article, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Are these old enough to be in the public domain, and are there full text versions of the interiors too? Some of those headlines are so awful that I want to see the story that backs it up.

Was this a particularly British thing, or did these exist in the USA as well?

These were originally American. See the Wiki here.
Mark used to run a weekly feature where he’d display one of these and we’d all have a chuckle.
Mad monkey mondays or something to that effect.

1 Like

The old man with the fish at the top is from the collection. Mark liked it because it reminded him of these other images that he collects and has an interest in, at least that was my take.

I only made it through several hundred pages, i didn’t think they were all that great or exciting, there were a few interesting ones sprinkled in here and there though. A game from them would be a great idea. The thread isn’t so much hijacked, as waiting for someone to come along and say something about the actual images worth talking about. Let us know when we ca beta test your game! :slight_smile:

That’s a thing of beauty hilarity!

2 Likes

The technology behind it is pretty interesting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.