British newsreader tries to explain what the hell is going on in Parliament

It does not appear that they are wrong.

5 Likes

He’s still an MP. I don’t know the Conservative Party rules about who can or can’t be party leader, but he’s cleared the first hurdle.

Politically, it sounds like a disaster to me, but I’m still confused about how a lot of stuff even happened during the past half-dozen years, so :man_shrugging:

5 Likes
16 Likes

British Govt. looks like fast-forward Benny Hill sketch with YacketySax

3 Likes

I’m surprised we haven’t yet gotten an expletive filled missive from Jonathan Pie…

7 Likes

tastes like “brown” :grimacing:

4 Likes

I think this would be a real challenge for him. It’s hard to find the delightful twist in perspective by revealing the absurdity here, because the absurdity isn’t hidden.

Or put more simply: “How the fuck do you satirize this?”

10 Likes

This is 3 weeks old but still seems relevant:

7 Likes

Update.

At about 01:30 last night, the government said last night’s vote was a vote of confidence after all.

By breakfast time, a senior minister couldn’t answer if it was or not.

Is it too early to start drinking?

11 Likes

Johnson wasn’t there last night for a vote to rip up one of his manifesto commitments.

He has a record of missing major government votes when things get sticky - like his ‘emergency’ trip to Afghanistan when Foreign Secretary times to coincide with a vote on Heathrow expansion; favoured by the government, but one he said he would ‘die in a ditch’ to prevent(1).

This time, he is on (another) luxury Caribbean holiday, doubtless paid by a Tory donor. Parliament has been back from an interminable series of recesses for less than two weeks.

(1) sadly, yet another broken promise.

8 Likes

Why would he want to ruin his track record?

9 Likes

He’s eligible to stand - at the moment. He would be made ineligible if the current enquiry into his actions at PM being held by a Commons a committee finds he knowingly misled the House whilst at the Dispatch Box.

It is highly unlikely it will go to a vote however, almost certainly the Tories daren’t let their membership decide again after Truss. The thinking is that MPs will stitch up a deal where one candidate will be appointed as leader of the Party - and by extension become PM without needing to go further. This happened when Cameron was replaced by May what feels like a thousand years ago, but was actually only in 2016.

9 Likes

13 Likes

We need a gen election, all this nonsense of them needing two more years to get their house in order, they have had 12! its time to go, any one who votes Tory at the next election is an idiot!!

8 Likes

What happened then was May was up against Andrew Leadsom, who dropped out leaving May the only candidate.

3 Likes

Easy way to tell the difference:

Are you outside?
Are people mostly drinking Pimm’s?

If yes, to both, it’s probably cricket not Parliament.

If you’re outside, people aren’t drinking Pimm’s and the people shoving other people about and shouting at them are wearing shorts, it’s probably a rugby match not Parliament.

That’s tricky though. In summer, people might be drinking Pimm’s at a rugby match.

11 Likes

It is even better than that – cricket has laws. Something that the previous administration amply demonstrated don’t apply to them.

I think spellcheck has mis-named her.

7 Likes

Liz Truss wont last as long as a test match takes. T20, perhaps.

8 Likes

Dame Andrea’s brother?
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Is it considered bad form for the Leader of the Opposition to turn to the Speaker and demand “Howzat!”?

I’ve never understood cricket.

6 Likes