British newsreader tries to explain what the hell is going on in Parliament

9 Likes

We are in the farce stage of repeating history…

1 Like

Seeing the Tories implode? You bet I am…

3 Likes

What I find grimly amazing is that they’ve managed to melt down this badly before their policies have even had time to properly collide with reality.

Sure, the touching story of a Poundland Margaret Thatcher and her favorite think tank randroid was never going to end happily; but it’s sort of a tradition to at least ram things through hard enough to immiserate the public before self destructing.

10 Likes
6 Likes

It might be broken quickly by her replacement.

All those meetings with the monarch. Hm. Who’s in line after King Charles? Just checking…

4 Likes

I’d love to see that walking caricature of a toff trying to be a hard man and yelling “Oi! Yew! Outside now!”

It’s amazing to think that a PM could bungle things so badly and quickly that even her fellow Tory politicians would find it a bit much.

4 Likes

I think it seems as though her position is untenable now. Let’s see what today holds, but from my point of view it does seem like the confidence of MPs has been lost. I don’t know how that would come back really

Miriam Cates – an executive member of the 1922 Committee

12:32 Deputy PM (Coffey, at the moment) arrives at No. 10 for talks with Sir Graham Brady (chairman of 1922 Committee) and the temporary PM.

2 Likes

And she’s gone.

44 days - she spent less time as PM than as a candidate to become PM.

13 Likes

Which bungling and malicious Tory is next in line? If that still-crispy head of lettuce is a Conservative the party could obviously do a lot worse than to make it its new leader.

6 Likes

“I’m a fighter, not a quitter”, says quitter.

8 Likes

Most of my friends and family right now (and me):

Still holding out for the reveal of my favourite theory, that Liz Truss has always been a Lib Dem* sleeper agent, on a mission to take down the Tory party from the inside

*she was originally a Liberal Democrat MP, before defecting to the Tories, which doesn’t really have an equivalent in US politics

17 Likes

Truss said she had entered office with “a vision for a low-tax, high-growth economy that would take advantage of the freedoms of Brexit”.

The level of self-delusion packed into this one sentence is stunning, even for a Conservative.

Looking at the collusion of Clegg and the Lib Dems in the Brexit debacle and her own crashing of the economy in record time as a Tory, it’s also valid to wonder if Truss is a foreign power’s sleeper agent, on a mission to take down the UK from the inside.

6 Likes

Libertarians who believe in welfare, but only so that the working classes don’t rise up against them. The days of them being freedom loving social democrats seem to be long gone now.

10 Likes

Shortest time as PM to serve under the largest number of monarchs?

9 Likes

No, she used to be a member of the Lib Dems as a student, but when she was elected she was (and remains) a Tory.

She joined the Tory party in 1996, at the point when the party was about as popular and united as it is now.

10 Likes

1996 probably looks like the glory days compared to where the Conservative Party are now.

9 Likes

According to the Times, Johnson is planning a return.

1 Like

The only thing wrong with that picture is that it should actually be taking place on the poop deck of Titanic as it begins to slip under the waves - we’re all captives of this death cult.

2 Likes
7 Likes