British road barriers, modeled on children, stare into you

A number of schools in an area where I work have these on each side of the crossing outside the gates and they are surprisingly effective. Even when you know they are there, you always check to see that none of them are moving…

2 Likes

Well, they’re kind of bulky because they have to fit around whatever’s put inside them, and children’s bodies vary widely in shape and size.

6 Likes

True, using a traffic cone as an armature is not a creative constraint for amateurs.

1 Like

We used to have life-size moose-shaped signs by the highways.

3 Likes

It was incredible-and yet somehow just. Despite all their powers and their brilliance, the Overlords were trapped in some evolutionary cul-de-sac. Here was a great and noble race, in almost every way superior to mankind; yet it had no future, and it was aware of it. In the face of this, George’s own problems seemed suddenly trivial.

“Now I know,” he said, “why you have been watching Jeffrey. He was the guinea pig in this experiment.”

“Exactly-though the experiment was beyond our control. We did not start it-we were merely trying to observe. We did not interfere except when we had to.”

Yes, thought George-the tidal wave. It would never do to let a valuable specimen be destroyed. Then he felt ashamed of himself: such bitterness was unworthy.

“I’ve only one more question,” he said. “What shall we do about our children?”

“Enjoy them while you may,” answered Rashaverak gently. “They will not be yours for long.”

It was advice that might have been given to any parent in any age: but now it contained a threat and a terror it had never held before.

5 Likes

Say, let’s take a relaxed attitude toward work and watch the baseball match. The ny mets are my favorite squadron.
38 AM

8 Likes

I just had a terrible idea for a kids Halloween costume!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Cubs. Let’s keep it current folks.

2 Likes

15 Likes

6 Likes

They kind of remind me of the extra characters from the children’s program Davey and Goliath. Now I have A Mighty Fortress is Our God stuck in my head.

10 Likes

actually I think this is just more proof for my theory that sometime in 2016, reality was inverted and we were thrown into an ongoing Dr. Who serial.

5 Likes

I just googled ‘Richard D. James mask’ and now I feel that citizens of this town have an artistic responsibility to paste his mug on every one of these things.

3 Likes

These are totally a Dr. Who prop.

3 Likes

I had the very same thought when I saw those bollards.

I think anything that gets drivers to ignore children that they see near the road, because they’re used to seeing them as inanimate objects is a bad idea.

The toddler-sized safety posts were designed to be more attention-grabbing than the standard poles, and are.

There will be unintended consequences.

Drivers probably do pay a lot more attention when they see children standing on the side of the street. By tricking drivers and hijacking that reaction to get them to notice inanimate barriers, we desensitize the drivers to the presence of actual children at the side of the road.

You want creepy bollards?

6 Likes

Considering the current state of affairs in the world I would blink a lot if I saw them.

4 Likes