Britons advised to drink sewage water, burn books for heat, and eat moldy food

Useful bait, tbh. I was looking for a radio spot on NPR that used this line, and could only find this video, which I’d never seen.

4 Likes

Those cost cutting tips from the Telegraph and just about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Like drunk teenager wrote this in 90 seconds dumb.

Yeah save some money, charge your phone at the office! (forget the fact that it will cost you £38.40 ro more to ride the tube for a week) Caps and Travelcard prices - Transport for London

I really wonder what anybody was thinking.

13 Likes

“Oi, that’ll be coming out of your wages!”

8 Likes

Drink sewage, burn books and moldy food?
so… business as usual, eh?

5 Likes

Yeah, most of the suggestions boil down to “commit trivial unnoticeable theft from your employer”.

9 Likes

Theresa May says to just scrape off the mold

7 Likes

They were thinking, everyone is working from home now because they discovered they can because of Covid, and we need to get them into the office so our investors don’t lose out on their rent income, so lets use this cost of living crisis to convince them to come in to the office rather than pushing to control the cost of living crisis, like they have done in France for example.

So the Telegraph solution to saving money is to use someone elses power, reducing your companies profits and therefore your own potential pay rises. But that will only effect the workers not the owners (because they chose how the profits get distributed) so that’s golden for the Tories favourite newspaper.

6 Likes

Someone did a study a few years back trying to figure out how much it costs to pay for the electricity to keep a smartphone charged. It came out to a little under a dollar’s worth of electricity per year.

9 Likes

If that includes irrigation runoff, it definitely sounds plausible.

5 Likes

Britons advised to drink sewage water, burn books for heat, and eat moldy food

It’d help if the companies that have sucked £72 billion out of the taxpayer since privatisation didn’t manage to lose 25% of all the treated water in their pipes. It’s about equivalent to three Lake Windermeres of water every year - although considerably cleaner given that they’ve managed to pollute the one and only Windermere with untreated sewage.

Meanwhile, has anyone seen that £350 million a week we were promised if the UK left the EU? That would help nicely with the gas bill.

8 Likes

in the 1970s the working classes could still buy their own homes, now it is a rch middle class privilege, There are 30-45 year olds who are stuck with paying rent with no end in sight and they can’t remember the 1970s. 40% of them think that riots will be justified if they break out.

All the conditions for revolution are in place, and if riots start then who knows where things will end.

This is not some naive comment thinking that The Revolution will be glorious, this is a comment by someone who is already the target for hatred from the Government and the press. I only expect things will get worse and if things do get that bad then my life will be in danger. Revolution brings counter-revolution.

14 Likes

It is not entirely beyond the realms of minute possibility that the Torygraph was in fact t-rolling its readers at the same time as taking the piss out of assorted govt ministers who are also spouting this sort of nonsense. Maybe even they know the game might be up - esp when a majority even of Tory party members now agrees with renationalisation of utiltities.

3 Likes

Recycled food is good for the environment, and OK for you!

Can confirm, this is me.
Plus our landlords have just decided to sell up (although they are giving us a year to find somewhere else).

3 Likes

Yes and.
Our planet’s water cycle (the sacred closed-loop that makes all life here possible, including our breathable atmosphere) is the absolute definition of material reuse.

We wouldn’t be here now if phytoplankton hadn’t spent millennia cranking out what we need here now.

The axiom “the dose makes the poison” applies, and though

are reliably helpful in getting us potable water than will not kill us right away1, the water in Mississippi is pretty jacked up by the time is arrives in NOLA.

Here’s the contaminants report for New Orleans–Carrollton Waterworks, which serves ~291,044 people:

which in part reads:

And New Orleans–Algiers Waterworks, which serves 52,785 souls:

It doesn’t help that Cancer Alley is upstream of New Orleans.2

And it also doesn’t help that U.S. water treatment plants (AFAIK) do not and cannot for the most part remove these contaminants from their water supply.

So the people who are being advised to drink sewage water in Britain (and elsewhere) are facing the “get killed by their drinking water sooner rather than later” scenario that is usually the lot of populations having had an extreme weather catastrophe, a destructive war, a massive power outage, etc… and not the mere ultra-cynical fuckery of its government.

I hear it’s 3 days of no bread that usually works.
I wonder how long it takes for the revolt when it’s water instead of bread.

I have a few friends living north of London.

I really ought to email them the following info, but fwiw, and with full recognition that not everyone can afford this kind of health insurance, the Berkey Water Filter is reliable, and our principal engineer simply will not do extended field work in disaster areas without one:

These water filters are also favored by missionaries ( :woman_shrugging:t5: ) and the military.

Please, all y’'all out there in places with bad water, take good care.
Waterborne diseases are many and awful.
I’ve had a few of 'em and none of those were fun.

ETA:

ooops, forgot the footnotes

1. Water contaminants that often remain after water treatment plant handling include but are not limited to:

https://www.epa.gov/ccl/types-drinking-water-contaminants

1. It ain’t just Cancer Alley that’s a primary water polluter though:

ETA2:

missing word
dammit I already drank coffee today, I can’t say what went wrong

9 Likes

including my parents for the past 50 years and me for half my life.
I guess the plus side of this is that now my glass has minimal water in it. :tumbler_glass:

3 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.