Britons advised to drink sewage water, burn books for heat, and eat moldy food

Originally published at: Britons advised to drink sewage water, burn books for heat, and eat moldy food | Boing Boing

15 Likes

The Tories are bringing the mechanics of this survival game to life.

18 Likes

I am trying to not let pessimism take over, but at this point I wouldn’t bet on a revolution not happening in the UK before the end of next year.

28 Likes

Brought to you by British Secretary of Survivng the Endtimes Bear Grylls.

17 Likes

Keep a stiff upper bowel!

31 Likes

15 Likes

Really, all water on Earth has been recycled innumerable times. Waste water can absolutely be cleaned sufficiently to be returned to the potable system. No one really wants to think about it like that, though.

30 Likes

truth. i spent a couple of years working in New Orleans back in the early 80s. i was told at the time that around 4 millions gallons of Mississippi River water flows under the GNO bridge every second. that part is accurate. the second “factoid” they would say was that every drop of water had been used at least 10 times upriver. i have never found corroboration to that figure, but it certainly seems plausible, if actually a little low.

19 Likes

It depends on how many water treatment plants are upstream. It’s a convenient water source for several large cities from Minnesota all the way to the Gulf!

15 Likes

There may be riots, as the Brits are good at rioting, but no revolution. Even in the darkest ages of the 1970’s when Britain was the sick man of Europe they didn’t go that far.
The only good that comes out of suffering Britons in times of economic hardship is good music and radical fashion, get prepared !

10 Likes

They can do it, they just lack follow-through

(In case this isn’t clear, those are the execution of Charles I. and the subsequent coronation of Charles II.)

19 Likes

Yeah, it’s a bit odd right now on the back of an epic heatwave. But give it a few months when the winter starts to kick in i can really see things properly falling apart :confused:

10 Likes

I’d like to hope that voters notice this shit and realise that the Tories don’t give a flying fuck about them or their elderly relatives.

18 Likes

I have to admit I thought I was already drinking treated water.

That’s not a joke about the quality of water in my area - just a statement about how effective sewage treatment is. I’d be happy to have sewage treated and returned into the water system, assuming it was done properly.

However, I wouldn’t trust this government to deliver any such changes. They’re a bunch of liars and incompetents who condone corruption and don’t give a damn about the country.

14 Likes

Its going to be hard when 90%+ of the media is openly pro-Tory :confused:

8 Likes

“Burn books? Hell no, we’re not damned heathens!”

Actually, historically… aw.

6 Likes
25 Likes

We’re all drinking dinosaur piss.

10 Likes

The problem is that the privatised water companies have sold off thirty-odd reservoirs and not invested in new ones, and neither have they invested in larger, better overflow tanks at water treatment plants. This recent problem is more to do with the ground being so dry and hard that sudden heavy rainfall has overwhelmed drains and overflow systems, resulting in sewage being carried along with the excess rainwater.
Our rivers, generally speaking, are vastly cleaner than they were fifty years ago - I can remember being in South Wales by the River Taff, and the water was completely black with the runoff from the mines further up the valleys, and back in Victorian times, the Thames was so utterly fouled with human waste Parliament was forced to leave the city because of the Great Stink. Nowadays, the Thames has seals coming into the city.

17 Likes

That was bait, I knew someone would take the time to find this vid (I couldn’t recall the name of it). :wink:

6 Likes