BT 622212453353: a machined sculptural component of a machine from a better future

Here’s an article about him from 2013. Sorry for Daily Mail…
Uh-oh! 'Radioactive Boy Scout' who built a nuclear reactor in his Detroit shed sparking evacuation of 40,000 now wants to invent a lightbulb that lasts 100 years | Daily Mail Online

1 Like

Sounds like he’s fallen victim to Crank-itis.

Are the stl’s on thingiverse yet?!?!? :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Hay, if someone likes a lot of lube, it’s their own perogative.

4 Likes

implants the gps tracker chip?

3 Likes

Let us know when he gets the rest of the Interocitor finished.

7 Likes

So THIS was the original inspiration for IKEA?

12 Likes
  1. My only criticism, and as an artist I always struggled with this, is knowing when to stop. personally I found the half done piece more interesting than the finished piece. YMMV.

2. Bitching orange juicer.

3. Or Rail Gun projectile.

4 Likes

“Too much is almost enough.”

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

But, does it actually do anything?

Future? Bah! We’ve been using veeblefetzer sub-chokes like this for years now. This thing is a reliable, serviceable but frankly out of date sub-choke.

5 Likes

Yes, it bes art.

1 Like

Nice to see a machinist debate on BoingBoing. You are right, I could get away with much less coolant, but I like to flood it to wash out the chips to prevent chip recutting. When trying to get a good finish out of a ball mill, that helps a lot.

5 Likes

Everything something something if you’re brave enough?

2 Likes

9 Likes

I am not a competent machinist…I’ve just managed people who are.

One old guy told me about his experience in WW2 when he was moved to a munition factory. He had to turn a particular piece but the foreman was called away before finishing instructions. So he got on with it.
It was very resistant material and he spent the next hour experimenting with speeds and feeds. Eventually he managed to get enough lubrication on it and was able to cut, but very slowly. He had to make constant adjustments and sharpen his tools several times. At the end of the shift he was exhausted and had only mananged to make two of them. The next morning he told the foreman that he had only managed to produce two and must be doing something wrong but he didn’t know what.
The foreman told him that never before had anyone been able to make more than one of these armor piercing shell heads per shift.

10 Likes

A machinist debate is one of the best kinds. :smiley:
Actually MAKING something of this class is rare to see.

My hat (and hair (okay, that went on its own ages ago), and scalp, and top of the skull) off to you! :smiley:

…also, a major envy for your shop! I must have drooled at least a fluid ounce just from watching your machines…

3 Likes

Appreciate the compliments.

5 Likes

Too bad they didn’t have it when Kent Goering was at Camp Century https://books.google.com/books?id=Wa2333FvqG4C&pg=PA34&dq=“kent+goering”+“eagle+scout”&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQqLmB5pvLAhVlLZoKHbGtBUAQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=“kent%20goering”%20"eagle%20scout"&f=false

1 Like

I suppose I could part with one and still be FEARED. But not Sphere-o-boom. It’s my sentimental favorite.

2 Likes