Bug? Liking a root post in the boing group collapses it and makes it unreadable

We still have to keep VMs of ancient build environments around on the off chance that we need to service a really old version of something we ship (and certifying it on a newer build kit would be entirely too much effort) so I feel ya.

2 Likes

On the plus side one of the big pushes from security happening when I got laid off was to either get off the old stuff learn to deal with them being very locked down, isolated and audited like every 3 months.

1 Like

These guys easily have the money to rebuild an open source app thatā€™s been abandoned by a vendor, but they donā€™t have the technical or legal resources to reverse-engineer a closed source app tied to specific hardware & build it over again from scratch, &etc.

Um that is if I actually did know of any huge metropolitan hospitals still totally reliant on old versions of IE and Windows. Because I totally donā€™t, of course. Totally. If I did, the NDAs and BAs I am signatory to would totally prevent me from naming names or even talking about any such thing other than totally hypothetically. This is all just rumors, yeah, rumors I heard, thatā€™s all. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s no truth in it whatsoever.

2 Likes

Up here, anyway, the problem in the medical arena tends to be that only specific versions are certified, so you canā€™t change it without recertification. Open source or otherwise. :frowning:

2 Likes

HIPAA/HiTech regulations, in the US, pretty much makes using unsupported software illegal, but that only applies to the management of Legally Protected Health Care Information.

So I canā€™t use OpenBSD to host your health insurance or treatment data* but I can use Uncle Joeā€™s Fly-By-Night Heart Surgery Software from 1987, no problem!

I guess we really canā€™t expect sane regulation from an industrialized nation that adamantly refuses to allow single-payer health care,** though.

* unless I contract or build a maintenance organization to provide OS support for it.

** apparently because itā€™s just too cheap, reliable and simple for massive insurance company profiteering.

2 Likes

For a mobile device and particularly an Apple device, definitely. They
update aggressively which is also why every IT security professional I know
carries a modern iOS device.

To be 100% clear ā€“ is it happening after you like a post? Because thatā€™s what I fixed and the code is still there to check for that case.

Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s something else that is refreshing the top post.

Interesting! Every security professional I know wouldnā€™t touch one with a ten foot pole. They mostly run heavily customized android loads.

Theyā€™re probably not very good, then:

https://twitter.com/4Dgifts/status/793554938844643328

Android is a disaster, security-wise. Itā€™s ok-ish if you have a new device you bought directly from Google and thus gets official updates fast from the source, but far from great.

The login page is borked for iOS 9.3.5 so I canā€™t even enter my password on the iPad II

Can you screenshot it? Iā€™m curious what the ā€œborkedā€ means.

When I try to enter the username or password the login dialog disappears off the bottom of the screen ā€¦ might be able to use a saved password via iCloud but canā€™t enter anything ā€¦ is there a video capture app for iOS? I could video it but not screenshot it

Youā€™re willing to judge people you donā€™t know (who are running custom OSes) based on the twits of other people you donā€™t know talking about non-customized OSes, and also you prefer to trust people who are running Apple OSes with built-in back doors? To each his own, I guess.

I personally run straight android straight from Google on my tablet, but then again I donā€™t put anything I care about on my tabletā€¦ :shrug:

Itā€™s happening when I reply to a post. I havenā€™t tried liking.

1 Like

So it is a separate bug then. Iā€™m trying to reproduce it but I canā€™t seem to do it. Does it happen every time you reply? Is it immediately after the reply, or like 30 seconds later?

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œMedievalist, post:55, topic:86506, full:trueā€]
Youā€™re willing to judge people you donā€™t know (who are running custom OSes) based on the twits of other people you donā€™t know talking about non-customized OSes, and also you prefer to trust people who are running Apple OSes with built-in back doors? To each his own, I guess. [/quote]

As someone who does security for a living, I advocate that people who really want secure to use client-side encryption (like iPGMail), donā€™t use iCloud, backup to an encrypted removable drive, donā€™t use biometrics, use two-factor auth, donā€™t display mesages in the lock screen, and use third-party apps as little as possible.

Most people donā€™t need to be that careful. 2FA, donā€™t display messages, no iCloud, and local backups is enough for most people.

If you need a cloud storage option, Iā€™ll trust Apple (who make $0 off of your personal details) over someone like Google who still make the vast majority of their income from mining personal data and details for advertising any day. It doesnā€™t make them inherently bad actors, but they have a MUCH greater incentive to do things like mine your email, photos and whatnot for marketable data than a company who derives no revenue from such practices.

1 Like

Good advice, and youā€™ve touched the critical principle - data security is fundamentally an economic and psychological problem.

You have to make it more economically and psychologically attractive for people to not hack your systems, because all security can be defeated by the $5 wrench method. If itā€™s possible for someone to make eleventy million dollars by hacking my phone, then the costs of hacking my phone need to cause more harm to them than eleventy million dollars is worth.

Securityā€™s one of my professional hats, too.

We need a new thread if weā€™re going to keep this up, but Iā€™m out for the weekend. Gotta put a new roof on the house and no, that is not a euphemism!

1 Like

Itā€™s happened to me once, as well. When it did, it was the first reply to a fresh topic.

1 Like

so, Iā€™ve seen this happen too, especially the dreaded ā€œGET THE BOING BOING NEWSLETTERā€ problem where the post text disappears completely. I wish I could find a pattern, though - Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s causing it. But it is happening.

Next time I see it Iā€™ll pay close attention to browser and application states and report more details.

1 Like

Not every time I reply, but itā€™s immediate. Unlike @nimelennar my replies werenā€™t to fresh topics, though.

1 Like