A bug in the Like button

Hey there @codinghorror , just wanted to report this

I am seeing lots of cases now where I have already liked something, but the heart is not displaying red.

When I am going along reading and liking things I will often try to like something I already liked, resulting in this message:

Figured you would want to know

Windows 10 pro, Chrome Version 98.0.4758.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

2 Likes

That’s happened to me once or twice over the years. I think I ended up logging out and waiting at least 10 minutes, and then I logged back in.

4 Likes

It could have something to do with being on phone and computer at the same time too, which I have been a lot lately for some reason I can’t put my finger on

5 Likes

I use my phone exclusively for BB, but I also wonder if they’re fixing something behind the scenes and it affects the functionality of the like button? It’s a mystery.

4 Likes

Oh!!! Maybe they are working on this!

4 Likes

The hearts must flow!

4 Likes
6 Likes

This happens to me sometimes. Usually when I’ve had a few tabs open and may have liked in one tab but went back to a topic in the other. Refreshing the page and closing tabs seems to stop the issue

6 Likes

I’ve had it happen when I have the same thread open in two tabs. A like displays just fine in the active tab, but I have to refresh the other tab before it shows up.

4 Likes

After some more testing it does look like it is related to multiple windows. What is weird is that if I go to the other window the like count is correct, and I can click on the number and it will show that I liked it, but the heart is still not red. it might be a bug in the Ajax script (or whatever it is) that auto refreshes open pages?

4 Likes

I’ve been experiencing something similar for a few weeks now. I use BB exclusively on my laptop.

2 Likes

I sometimes had this, and thought it might have had something to do with the mods cleaning up a topic. The reason I thought this is that I noticed parts of the topic being split off, or posts to be deleted due to violation of the community guidelines.

That said, it happend also when :heart:ing posts weren’t moved or deleted.

1 Like

Sorry about this! The :sparkling_heart:, like the spice, must flow!! Does anyone have a set of steps to consistently reproduce the problem?

3 Likes

Not yet - I have been trying to but it seems to be a weird set of circumstances. So far I just see it when it has happened - have not been able to make it happen yet

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s the same error but

Open a topic. Get busy and forget you had that tab open.
Open the same topic from the main list or from the suggestions at the bottom of a different topic. Like something. Get distracted again.
Go back to 1st tab. Attempt to like the same post.

This seems to reproduce the error consistently. Though usually my distractions (or legit work) mean the gap in time between the steps above is often hours. Refreshing the page fixes it. When it happens to me, I haven’t noticed whether the heart count includes my like or not

ETA: Android (whatever the latest is on the Pixel).
Brave browser.
Thx @howaboutthis for reminding me of that part

4 Likes

Oh! I have never had it happen on mobile, where I almost always have multiple boing boing tabs open

1 Like

@codinghorror:

@Kii’s method is how I get it.

My first tab shows the correct pink heart. The screenshot here is of the second open tab. If I look closely, it shows that I liked @Kii’s post, but the heart is still greyed out:

and if I try to like it again, I get scolded:

2022-02-28_163426

(In my case, it’s usually because I opened a link directly from the BBS page without switching directly to it, forgot I did that, then opened the same link from the article on the main BB page. For this test, I just copied/pasted the link into a fresh tab.)

(Win7 Pro, Brave browser)

(Edited to add: same effect in the current Pale Moon Portable (29.4.4.win32). Sorry for the delay; my installed version on Pale Moon turned out to be a bit behind the times, BBS-wise.)

2 Likes

Excellent! This is exactly what we needed. We’ll get to work on this, thank you for the detailed reproduction steps! :handshake:

5 Likes

That sounds like what I am seeing on desktop. Interesting that you get it on mobile while I never have,then again, different browsers :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I figured it was either just my phone or my habits of distraction. I don’t usually use a computer for boing boing

4 Likes