Bug? Liking a root post in the boing group collapses it and makes it unreadable

This pleases me greatly. I’ll report back if I see it again. Thanks @eviltrout for finally fixing this!

5 Likes

I’m still seeing it here. I assume an update hadn’t been pushed out to BB yet?

3 Likes

Not yet no. Within a week or two.

6 Likes

Good to know. I didn’t have any clue as to what your typical integration turnaround was like. I’ll keep an eye out for this!

3 Likes

Ok this should be deployed now.

10 Likes

*opens a #boing post*

*clicks “Show Full Post”*

*clicks “Like” on the root post*

*Post does not collapse*

Huzzah!

Thank you @codinghorror (and other Discourse staff)!

8 Likes

All thanks should go to @eviltrout!

7 Likes

Noted. Thank you, @eviltrout!

5 Likes

@eviltrout/@codinghorror

This issue appears to be happening again. I replied to this post:

Afterward it collapsed and there was no “Show full post” button.

Unfortunately it didn’t reproduce when reloading and trying again.

I’ll keep an eye on this to see if it happens again.

3 Likes

Happened again to me twice earlier today. All on desktop, Chrome, Windows.

More bugs:

• For about a week after the Lounge destruction, the BBS would log me out whenever I left the site for more than a moment. This affected iPhone/iPad, but not my laptop. Seems to have stopped now.

• I am currently unable to select more than one word at a time when trying to quote or copy text from a post. Again, iWidgets affected, but laptop not.

The iWidgets involved are old; iPad III, iPhone IV.

2 Likes

This bug is still not fixed.

Really old devices aren’t going to be supported. Different topic, but the version of iOS you are locked to is obsolete. The iPhone 4 was released 7 years ago.

Ok I will let @eviltrout know that this has regressed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know.

Outdated second-hand tech is often all that’s available to working-class folks, but that ain’t Discourse’s fault.

4 Likes

I believe Apple stopped selling the iPhone 4 in late 2013.

“Really old” is four years old now?   Dayum.

Hey, at least sites aren’t trying to support IE6 anymore.

2 Likes

Rumor has it that several large organizations still use ancient versions of IE and Netscape Navigator (yes, pre-mozilla netscape) in order to drive browser-specific web applications. I wish I was kidding. These, um, rumors say they run sandboxed virtual machines, that are freshly recreated from a golden image each time they are used, just so they can do it reasonably securely.

That’s the sort of thing that results from reliance on closed source applications… like you see in healthcare infrastructures…

2 Likes

I think it’s not so much closed source as 1) lack of certification or 2) abandonment.

For example, I have some old servers that have management cards using plugins that require old browsers to work. I get to keep a VM handy to deal with that.

I *also until recently had to keep an RHEL4 system running off-net because a third-party app was only certified on that platform. The app was actually open-source but the original developer was gone and no one wanted to foot the bill to rework it for modern library APIs (and the application was niche enough no real community existed to help, either.)

1 Like

There is a lot of that… I had to help out on a rebuild that was a lost cause. The vendor supplied the OS image so we couldn’t patch with our normal tools. The server needed to be next to the testing equipment it monitored. One day the drive controller went toes up and took the drives along with it. It took 3 weeks of fighting with Dell as it was Dell hardware but our Dell contract was for desktop only. The vendor had been bought out and the new owner dropped support for the software. I am not sure how they got things back up and running actually as all we could do for them was give them a VM in the data center to work with at that point.

2 Likes