Building concentration camps on military bases will lead to the moral injury of American soldiers

In many ways you are right: it wasn’t reported in the press, it was only whispered or reported by Allied radio and leaflets, so it must be propaganda, right? (Read the following as a German in 1943) Besides, the Goldbergs weren’t really German, with their filthy “kosher” rules, we’re better off since they left for Palestine, right? Imagine how much smaller rations would be if we also had to feed them!

6 Likes

Yeah, that synopsis is a rational argument, but SPOILERS, the soldiers will manage just fine to violate human rights.

2 Likes

I believe you’ve confused soldiers with handgun owners.
Soldiers sign their names and are Heroes.

1 Like

Not by default.

1 Like

According to American Airlines, every US local news channel I’ve heard in years (few, fwiw, but still) and a grip of chain restaurants, politicians and whatever, Heroes is the new knob cut; you get to expect to be called a Hero without ever doing anything extraordinary beyond joining up.
You have to save up enough money to buy a gun to get to be A Good Guy, but they pay you for Hero.

3 Likes

Part A:

Part B:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-02/california-fruit-is-going-to-die-on-the-vine-after-ice-raids

Part C:

13 Likes

Thankfully, we already have a snappy, field tested, slogan to use. That should make the process easier for everyone. Who isn’t honor bound to defend freedom?

4 Likes

#notallconcentrationcamps

9 Likes

What I saw and did was stand guard in front of a polling place during their first election so people could vote in peace. Many of them came up and shook my hand and the hands of others in my platoon and told us “thank you” for enabling that election day.

What happened after the democratic regime in America came to power and we pulled out before their fledgling government was fully stablized isn’t on the American soldiers.

There are accounts from people in the camps that everything is fine, tough but fair. This anti-German leftist propaganda is from people who’ve never even seen a camp. When the Red Cross inspected one, they found: an orchestra, the children’s facilities and good barracks. The nonsense of the lugenpresse becomes more comical each day!

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/29/opinion/l-red-cross-inspected-one-concentration-camp-824887.html

10 Likes

Iraq?

Nate (AKA @inthesedeserts) is an Afghanistan vet. Infantry officer, 4th Airborne BCT, 25th ID.

Francis (AKA @armystrang), the other host of that podcast, is an Iraq and Afghanistan vet. Public Affairs NCO.

3 Likes

Building concentration camps on military bases will lead to the moral injury of American soldiers

Sure it will.

sure thing.

These camps will be the tipping point prior to which moral injury has been avoided, or even learned from?

I doubt that

It’s hard to blame one event for compromising a compromised system. It’s the core. It’s the mission. the whole damn thing is rotten. And if you try to criticize the leadership, somehow you get accused of attacking the membership. Lets not play that dodge.

The US Military is an abuse of the faith of the US people.

7 Likes

My son’s 6 & 5th grade class went to the Holocaust centre here in Toronto last week. I was surprised and pleased that the guide was very explicit about the similarities between the start of the Holocaust and what we are currently seeing in the States, and also in parts of Europe. The takeaway for the kids was very much that this could happen again and may be beginning, and that unless good people resist it – it will.

16 Likes

Obviously in Toronto people are willing to speak about this frankly in a way that Americans are afraid of.

I’m willing to look like an idiot chicken-little now, if it helps make sure that we stop this dead in its tracks later (as in soon).

10 Likes

I sure hope there are ARMED UNIFORMED FOREIGN SOLDIERS lined up in front of MY polling place next time there’s an election in MY town! I will definitely want to THANK THEM when they “enable” our “election” for us after they depose that awful “regime.”

5 Likes

Unfortunately, America is generally the cause of most of the problems in their country of origin.

9 Likes

If you feel like you’ve landed a critical hit with these questions, I would say again: what will your response be if the answers start to become “yes”? Do you really, honestly believe that you are ready to turn on a dime? You are betting your immortal soul on the assumption that this is as far as it’ll go, but personally, I wouldn’t take that bet.

I don’t think this post should have been flagged, because I think it was made in good faith; in more normal circumstances, it would be a reasonable point of view to say unauthorised migrants have to be housed somewhere if they can’t be deported or released in the US. (Many would dispute that “can’t”, but I accept there are sides to it).

The reason people are treating this differently than if Obama or Gerald Ford were president is – as @lava sez – the direction of travel. This is not a grudging reaction to events, it is a situation the administration has pushed, hard, to create, and they’re not slowing down, they’re speeding up. If you draw a straight line through “catch and release” to “catch and imprison without criminal charges or legal representation”, and consider what is further along that line – that is what is probably going to happen.

I’d also note that, for regular prisons in the US, the answer to every one of the questions above is already “yes”. So it feels like you’re giving a lot of benefit of the doubt to unregulated prisons, operated in secrecy by untrained soldiers (who largely support Turmp as individuals).

16 Likes

I’ve never seen this photograph before; it’s very striking and I’m not sure what’s happening here, or when. Could I please have a link with more information?

3 Likes

I did a Search Google for This Image and came up with this:

12 Likes

I thought the plan was to operate the facilities on military bases, but to be administered by the Office of refugee resettlement, under the Dept of Health and Human Services.

Here are the policies I found: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/resource/children-entering-the-united-states-unaccompanied-section-1

Also:

illegalsatairforcebase

I did not know why the post was flagged. I thought maybe it was about the 60,000 South Vietnamese. I would like to hear if anyone has more palatable ideas for housing people during short-term surges in immigration. And as much as I am skeptical of the motives of the current administration, it does not seem reasonable to ascribe sinister motivations to actions they take that have been taken regularly by other administrations.

I agree that the prison situation, especially privately run ones, is messed up. But I do not think there is much overlap between HHS child placement procedures and DOJ Bureau of Prisons policies.