Bulleit family, of bourbon whiskey fame, denounced by daughter

To Yes, And you on this - I don;'t udnerstand why corporations, as people, are allowed to own other corporations. That’s slavery, innit?

2 Likes

Damn, that’s a shame b/c Bulleit is was my go-to when I’m restocking my sipping bourbon.

Yeah, the TJ is mighty smooth.

They have spirits, too? Jeez, I wish I lived in a state without quasi-Prohibition.

4 Likes

It’s true you can’t sell to responsible people without also selling to addicts, and prohibition makes the situation even worse. While I’m a little ambivalent on vice tax, it’s far from the worst idea and not one I’m dead-set against. Ironically, the incentive to tax it has gone a long way toward legalizing pot, so I see that as a good effect since tax revenue is needed (though it would be less dire if tax-dodging corporations were forced to pay their fair share). I could argue though that if we’re going to do it as a society, we should also vice tax companies that make cell phones.

For myself, I refuse to drink with alcoholics as they manage to turn an enjoyable activity into an exercise in misery for themselves and whoever drinks with them.

1 Like

I don’t know, I came late to the thread and I see what looks like you, quoting someone that doesn’t exist with only your own messages in the reply list of your posts. It’s all very Tyler Durden.

4 Likes

Yup. If I’m looking for something that’s good and inexpensive, BIB versions are where I start. I recently shopped for a bottle of bourbon after not doing so for quite a while, and saw Heaven Hill’s bottled-in-bond on the shelf for a reasonable price. I thought, “Hey, why not give this a shot?” and bought one, and found it quite pleasing.

But boy, howdy, does the bullshit fly (cough) Templeton (cough) in the whiskey business. Separating the true small distillers from BS artists requires very careful reading, and it’s easy to be taken in even then. One key: if it doesn’t say “Distilled at (our facility)” then it is almost certainly sourced from elsewhere.

2 Likes

actually rittenhouse is one i like…as well as High West and Templeton. My absolute favorite is Mad River from Vermont. But even in RI its hard to find.

http://www.madriverdistillers.com/liquor-type/rye-whiskey/

1 Like

I really wish we had some anti-trust movement in the world, with a focus on oligopolies that act as monopolies. Maybe in some parallel universe. Alas I can’t drink alcohol, so I can’t even stop buying this stuff.

Edit for clarity

3 Likes

The large corporations and businesses for sure don’t care about their customers and rely heavily on keeping their customers hooked or gaining new ones to grow their revenue. I recall reading a study where the average drinker contributed a small portion of sales profits as far as alcohol went, the largest percentage of it came from a few that drank heavily. I find this to be believable and wholly indefensible.

I drink primarily beer from small time breweries and i like to discover what they all have to offer, their advertising is minimal and is primarily geared toward people who have a love and appreciation for craft beers. It’s not about getting drunk or pursuing a vice but experiencing something classic or something totally new, and i have low key considered taking classes for learning how to brew myself.

Edit: found a few articles talking about the study in question. Here’s one

6 Likes

I know it’s huge and owned by Suntory, but aren’t all the Beam products still produced in their facility in Clermont?

Not even just a teency bit? You know, a buzz at the very least? I like the taste of a well made spirit, and I like the way it makes me feel.

That’s pretty cool. As an aside, I’m surprised that Fireball (blecch) made it into the top selling Liqueur category, and others didn’t (I’m thinking Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Kahlua etc.)

“Someone”: It was a new member who apparently walked into the wrong bar and assumed that starting a bar fight would be considered apropos.

4 Likes

After a bit of searching, looks like Clermont is indeed where Beam’s bourbon comes from.

Getting drunk and getting buzzed aren’t the same thing. I enjoy the taste of a quality spirit. My main limiter is the intoxicating effect which I find fairly unpleasant beyond a very slight buzz.

Fireball sells because most people who drink do so to reach various stages of inebriation and have no regard for the taste. Cordials are naturally going to sell less because most people use them in cocktails and thus in small portions relative to whiskey.

3 Likes

God damn it. First Yuengling, now Bulleit. Thankfully Bulleit is just yet another whiskey distilled in the same Lawrenceville, IN distillery as half the other “craft whiskeys” on the market now so while I liked it, I’m not going to be heartbroken. It’s not like it was Jamison or Jura, and if I want bourbon there are plenty of other decent options.

1 Like

Other than Bulleit, something from Beam is usually in my cabinet. The aforementioned Bookers (which is amazing) or Knob Creek are my favorites. I pretty much like everything they make other than Basil Hayden’s.
Last year on my birthday a friend of mine gave me a bottle of this and I really like it -

Being a queer person who worked in the liquor industry for about ten years, this kind of shady treatment doesn’t surprise me. I encountered a lot of bigotry - racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, ethnic, religious, you-name-it. And moreso than many other businesses, a huge part of large-scale alcoholic beverages involves a balancing act of nurturing social irresponsibility while managing perceptions. As if the social costs fade away once they throw enough token money at some high-profile campaign or another that they could pat themselves on the back about in press releases, and hopefully make it into the news.

3 Likes

would love to see Hollis Bourbon, i’d drink that exclusively.

4 Likes

I’d love to see her start something new with a small distillery making something original.

5 Likes