Burger King sued after revoking 'meals for life' compensation

Could have been worse. He could have been trapped with Humpty Hump.

(ETA goddamnit @generic_name beat me to it.)

4 Likes

When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman?

4 Likes

Burgers for life? That seems harsh.
As a condition of his compensation they should at least be served at his own convenience.
I suppose if his appeal fails he’ll have to take it to the Privy Council.

2 Likes

Brooner and his attorney are suing for about $9,000

So Brooner will get maybe a order of fries and free ice water once a week.
And the Attorney will be feasting on that sweet sweet Whopper JR.

2 Likes

YES! I came here for this reference, and I was not disappointed. Happy Mutants, you’re the best :bowing_man:

5 Likes

as a matter of boingboing historical etiquette the word gentleman is not used as term for somebody old, but rather for somebody that has done something most people would use the term scumbag for - for example shouting racist insults through the door of the burger kind bathroom before getting out would be the kind of thing that got you called gentleman.

It’s the boingboing fake polite version of the police calling you sir as they beat on you.

2 Likes

I really don’t understand this, because it seems like an open and shut case, and really he could say he wants a burger a day that’s the deal Why would Burger King not just say ok, here’s your money hope you spend some of it with us!

1 Like

I like Whoppers.

2 Likes

That’s why the settlement is based on dying at 72

He could ask for 3 a day. Which would make the settlement $189,000

The guy deserves compensation not a death sentence!

burger chef was purchased by hardees in 1981 , some locations took a few years to be rebranded

One of the tags in the post has a typo: " El rey de hamborgesa"

It’s Hamburguesa

1 Like

3 Likes

$9000? He should have hired that McDonald’s coffee lawyer.

I think the amount is reasonable and strategic, it likely it doesn’t cover his legal fees. My assumption is that he’s hoping BK will settle for a higher undisclosed amount or if it comes down to judgement that he will be awarded a higher amount. If he were to ask for a high amount off the bat its possible his suit would be perceived differently.

1 Like

And/or could be more about the statement than the $$.

While it’s possible BK could be hit with punitive damages, it’s generally a bad idea to go into a negotiation asking far less than you’d like to receive. I’m not quite sure where the punitive damages would come in (the plaintiff accepted the compensation offered by the defendant and seemed satisfied). $9k is low enough that it would cost BK more to spend one day in court than to just pay it outright

1 Like

That does make sense but yeah i think its very strategic what he’s asking for and he’s likely hoping BK will just give him money to go away.

1 Like

Sheesh. An hour? Quit whining.

No sympathy for Burger King, but it’s a freaking hour. So the hell what. Shit happens sometimes.