Bus ruins Weather Channel's livestream of Georgia Dome implosion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/23/bus-ruins-weather-channels-l.html

4 Likes

This is a metaphor for America, isn’t it?

16 Likes

That’s exactly how I felt when a small cloud obscured the sun just before totality during the August eclipse, then moved off nonchalantly just after totality ended.

16 Likes

All the comics I’ve seen cover this, no one made hay of the fact that the side of the bus has a big sign for “Spot the signs of a stroke”. Missed opportunity.

6 Likes

No, it’s a bus.

Did I miss something?

2 Likes

Jockeying for the best seats to an implosion?

6 Likes

And the bus driver’s like, “Wouldya look at that? Neat. Well, gotta go.”

9 Likes

usually three come at the same time… so

3 Likes

That was awesome. You’re either on the bus or off the bus.

2 Likes
1 Like

If they’d sent Cantori he’da Lifted the goddamned bus outta the way damnit

3 Likes

Is it irrational for me to hate that bus driver so much?

3 Likes

Made even more appropriate by the banner on the side of the bus.

2 Likes

Nah, the Weather Channel made a rookie mistake by placing their camera where it could easily be blocked.

9 Likes

hqdefault

2 Likes

I’ll also note that a couple of hours prior to the implosion and a couple of hours after, they had shut down the marta train for that section, so they could check it over after, so there were more buses covering that area during the morning (probably from about 5 to about 11am. It wasn’t surprising that a bus got in the way, since there were probably a ton more milling about around downtown at the time.

They should have been across the street to get an unobstructed view of the demo!

5 Likes

And this, folks, is why you should take public transport.

8 Likes

Not the first time…

5 Likes

Controlled demolitions of buildings using shaped explosive charges to destroy structural elements in such a way to cause it to collapse inward is not an implosion.

An implosion, where material is accelerated towards a center point, is the opposite of an explosion, where the material is accelerated away from a center point.

You could destroy a building through implosion, by say, creating a vacuum in the center of the building, while increasing the pressure outside the building, so that the difference in pressure caused the walls of the structure to be drawn inward.

This method would be more expensive, more unpredictable, and generally ridiculous, but it would be closer to an implosion than the conventional method of controlled collapse.

4 Likes

@beschizza Someone is bringing his A game for that Pedantic Pendent - wait - you guys removed that badge?

3 Likes