Massive sinkhole opens and swallows bus in Pittsburgh

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/28/massive-sinkhole-opens-and-swa.html

4 Likes

It’s called PITtsburgh, should we be surprised?

30 Likes

Of course CNN screwed up the news. This was not a sinkhole; this was the Morlocks’ trial run of their new public transit system which didn’t quite make it to street level.

16 Likes

Aptly named, and the irony is delicious.

5 Likes

Jokes aside: is this possibly related to fracking in the area?

3 Likes

There’s no fracking inside the city of Pittsburgh, so it seems more likely this is due to a leaking or broken water main. Our century-old mains have been busting all over town lately.

12 Likes

You can’t just take a controversial subject and apply it to anything bad happening.

Sink holes are caused by water eroding the ground under the surface until it caves in. There are natural sinkholes and some places are more prone to them.

In cities a lot of times the cause is leaky water or sewer pipes washing away the ground under the asphalt.

8 Likes

The city is famous for the potholes, so I expect there will be lots of this type of comment in local coverage.

2 Likes

25 Likes

So where did this happen? Pittsburgh?

5 Likes

The damn car lobby strike again !

1 Like

See, if they’d just put one of these under the 11’8" bridge, it’d all balance out.

18 Likes

yeah but is my transfer still valid?

5 Likes

Not massive by Florida standards. Bus not swallowed but it is stuck. Lots of infrastructure under the bus and they need a crane. https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsburgh-sinkhole-port-authority-bus/29607762

2 Likes

This is like that movie “The Fissure That Ate Pittsburgh.”

Oh, it was called “The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh”?

Never mind.

3 Likes

I didn’t imply that there was a connection. Here is the fracking map of PA:

There are wells 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.
Also, I wasn’t saying that war in Syria had anything to do with it. Fracking can cause earthquakes and create massive changes in local geological area.

2 Likes

As a resident of the city, I have to say…

this is so Pittsburgh.

7 Likes

Well you did, with your musings on whether or not it was related.

It has been linked to earthquakes, but I am not sure what you mean by “massive changes in local geological area.”, unless you’re referring to the earthquakes and slips in the fault lines.

But fracking is deep in the earth and I’ve never heard of them causing a sink hole.

Occams’ Razor, its most likely a water works issue.

2 Likes

It’s really an art installation.

12 Likes

Especially above old / abandoned mines.

But, yes, not fracking.

3 Likes