Massive sinkhole opens and swallows bus in Pittsburgh

Thankfully it didn’t swallow it up. Just sort of stuck a corner of it, with some insouciance, in its (hell)mouth. Had it actually swallowed it, it would have been one of those, “There was a bus, now there’s just a hole whose bottom I cannot see…” situations that inspire in me a Lovecraftian, vertiginous horror.

5 Likes

The universe is like that sometimes, fix a truck-eating bridge in one place, streets start eating buses in another place.

10 Likes

It’s karma carma busma.

6 Likes

if i said “this is possibly/probably caused by fracking” then yes, i’d be implying.
i asked “is this possibly related to fracking in the area?”, no, that’s a question.

2 Likes

All over everywhere. Few politicians understand that cutting back on maintenance costs more in repair later. (Or hope that they can kick that can past their last term in office.)

10 Likes

And not just maintenance - the idea that public infrastructure might one day need replacing, which calls for CAPITAL investment, is anathema to most politicians.

6 Likes

I genuinely glanced at the photo and said “Oh, cool art installation!” before realizing that it was, in fact, a bus in a sinkhole.

3 Likes

I genuinely did!

See also: public education.

4 Likes

Monday night football in Pittsburgh just got a little bit more interesting!

1 Like

Nominative determinism?

Also…

18 Likes

OR, so damned due to all the pits?

1 Like

They need two cranes.

It would have been perfect irony if the lone passenger had been Jerome Bettis…

2 Likes

they were angling to do it at one point there were protests

I think when he dies it needs to be an ironic death from diabettis.

1 Like

oh, you win.

I live directly below Pittsburgh, in a suburb, and no- we don’t have fracking inside city limits. There was talk of a well being done near the Edgar Thomson steel works right below where I moved from in East Pittsburgh last year, but I don’t think it was ever done.

Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh area have tons of mines everywhere. There are so many the entire state is like Swiss cheese and most of it is completely undocumented because there are so many they don’t even show up on maps. Subsidence insurance for homeowners is a thing here and building sinking into the ground is pretty par for the course in this area.

That said this is very unusual even for Pittsburgh.

3 Likes

next up you know 3D art goes round corners too

My favorite example of that would be the Quecreek mine flood in 2002. It was caused by an undocumented 1963 excavation in the neighboring Saxman mine, on its last day of operation, that was the size and shape of a baseball diamond. This was never reflected in the maps, and the Quecreek miners broke through into the abandoned, flooded mine.