But Betsy DeVos' emails: Education Secretary used personal emails for work, Inspector report finds

Y’know … for some reason, in this case, it actually makes the picture less disturbing to me.

3 Likes

Methinks you missed the point. No one at BoingBoing is such a rules freak as to call for someone’s imprisonment over a mismanagement of a personal email in a vaccum. But in context the schadenfreude is thick that Hillary was pilloried over such mismanagement, giving us President Biff, and now his own cabinet get a pass. Irony, hypocrisy, however you you like it makes this news- and scorn-worthy.

11 Likes

Hypocrisy doesn’t matter if you’re a Republican

2 Likes

I’ve found more often than not that rich and powerful people are deliberately contemptuous of rules and procedure, and strut it too. They thumb their noses at these requirements to demonstrate their specialness.

Feeds into arguments and justifications about less government etc.

But in the end, in significant ways, they are all corrupt, and they corrupt all that they touch.

We ask for “adequate” control and management of the population. They shriek “invasiveness” etc, then tabulate data on immigrants.

2 Likes

2 Likes

But “but her emails” are not “but her emails”, in fact they’re nothing at all alike!

1 Like

I suspect that like the old ethics rule that you could only use frequent flyer miles earned on government travel for government travel*, the rule that you can only use official email for official will disappear.

*Because otherwise you are accepting a personal benefit for expenditure of government money. Sounded pretty reasonable to me.

1 Like

That sounds emolumently sensible.

1 Like

Yes, a very reasonable rule. But it became more and more at odds with people’s expectations and experiences outside of the government. Kickbacks from airlines for purchasing tickets with employer money are not just commonplace, but expected. It’s another example of how graft/bribery/fraud becomes normalized so that people no longer see it as wrong. As people become more used to doing EVERYTHING on their smart phones, and letting work interfere increasingly into their non-work time, I expect the idea of segregating work and personal emails to seem strange and and bothersome.

1 Like

Counterpoint: Al Capone. Sometimes you gotta go to battle with the army you have, not the one you wish you had.

Edit: hah, beaten to the punch on this by euansmith…

1 Like

I believe it is a sacrament.

But the bigger bother is doing government business on personal email. Then the knowledge that it’s possibly better to do it there than on a govt server.

There’s no way I wouldn’t hammer the first person I found doing it. As an example.

Not sure if it is just me, but that photo has some serious Uncanny Valley action going on. But perhaps it’s the soulless dead eyes that look like two glass marbles which is confusing me.

She does a lot of “defensive smiling”. I think the most egregious example is when she tried to ignore a CNN reporter in the hallways of Congress.

2 Likes

But she has the best politicians money will buy.

If you believe that congratulatory emails going through a personal email account are equivalent to formal communications with officials then I really have no argument you could possibly accept.

1. They weren’t all congratulatory emails, just “many.”
  2. Even congratulatory emails need to be retained by federal records rules. “It’s the LAW!” (is a favorite refrain I recall from conservative concern trolls when referring to Clinton’s use of a personal email server)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.