Caillou cancelled in early victory for 2021

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/06/caillou-cancelled-in-early-victory-for-2021.html

4 Likes

I’ve successfully avoided Caillou the way I’ve successfully avoided Two Girls One Cup, so I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

If you don’t know what the fuss is about, you definitely haven’t avoided it in the same way as 2g1c.

3 Likes

I’ve always loathed this cartoon, not so much for the whinging, grating kid but for his milksop parents and teachers who constantly appease and indulge his tantrums. Good riddance, “Cry-ou”*.

[* the nickname my niece gave the character when she was a kid]

9 Likes

I’ve successfully avoided Caillou the way I’ve successfully avoided Two Girls One Cup, so I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

10 Likes

Growing up and well into my college years my parents only had broadcast TV which meant I spent lots of time back home from college watching whatever was on PBS, including Caillou. While it was not my favorite animated PBS show to sit through, I didn’t hate it. It was calm and reflective and admittedly a bit odd. But it was much better for my mental health than Jerry Springer or whatever other commercialized hell was on the other channels.

17 Likes

I’ve never been able to avoid thinking of Caillou as a chemotherapy patient (is that a haircut, or is he bald?).

Seems that’s as good an explanation as any for kids as to why Caillou is gone.

6 Likes

I’ve also seen an episode or two and didn’t mind it.

3 Likes

I had no idea that it was so reviled. I’ve flipped through the channels and thought it was the typical run-of-the-mill PBS kids show. Not something I find particularly engaging for someone of my age and childless status.

9 Likes

My kid grew up in the early 2000s. Although I did my best to limit the youngun’s viewing, there were times stuff like Caillou snuck through.
Yeah, there were far better, but there were far worse I saw coming through on ‘educational’ TV.
Caillou at least made a bare level of sense. You ever heard of Cro? The caveman kid thawed in the 20th Century to share moral and engineering lessons he had learned from Mammoths in the days of yore.
Trust me on this, there is just nothing educational about this crap, except to learn to avoid sabre tooth tigers, while conversing with hair borne pachyderms.

3 Likes

I mean, won’t they have hours and hours of Caillou that their kids can still watch/stream?

I never liked the show, and my kid never really cared for it either.

2 Likes

You want to watch a GOOD show for pre-schoolers?

That is also insanely funny, sweet, and sometimes punch-in-the-gut moving?

Keeping the kids occupied while waiting for take-out:

Checking out the creek behind the playground:

Kids and parents discuss escape plans:

55 years after it was a hit in Kindergarten, kids still sing “Jingle Bells, Batman Smells:”

9 Likes

Caillou cancelled

8 Likes

Another good show that we found when living in Alberta was called Stella and Sam. It’s so damned wholesome.

2 Likes

Wow, memories. “He was thawed by the scientist, Doctor C…”!

In the original books, the character was a baby who had not yet grown hair. The animators inexplicably upped his age and kept the bald look.

Also, IMO, Tumble Leaf is the best kids show on TV:

It’s all actual stop-motion animation, too:

1 Like

I’ve never understood the hatred people have for this show. It’s bizarre. Teletubbies and Barney – those are horrifying shows. Caillou is just a small kid doing small kid stuff.

3 Likes

Going to put a vote in for Hey Duggee as best kids show…

1 Like

This show will reboot as one of the most progressive shows in history because it showed that not all kids are mindless, emotionless drones who obey their parents all the time.
But kids will absorb anything they see on tv and amplify it… giant babies now run the country.

Caillou is made for pre-verbal toddlers - the viewers who would look up to a 4 year old lead character as a role model. Maybe not my thing, but when my kid was 1 this was one of the first shows slow and calm enough for them to start following the social cues in the plot and empathizing with characters, which I always thought was the point.

But I’m confused about why I should be dunking on a show for babies, especially when there’s a lot of kids’ programming that’s a lot more toxic, commercial, or just more poorly made. Besides, there’s decades of episodes to replay so I don’t think this make the world safe for Caillou haters (;

3 Likes

Finally that little f*cker is gone!

1 Like

If you don’t know what the fuss is about, you definitely haven’t avoided it in the same way as 2g1c.

I’m going to stop reading this thread, because I have avoided 2g1c in that fashion (never heard of the Caillou fuss for that matter).

After Gotse.cx in the 90s, I avoided trolley links. There was a website in 2000 that would intermingle death photos every so often with news that was actually fascinating, and I swore off looking at something I didn’t want seared in my brain after seeing the week-old remains of someone who died taking a bath while using an in-tub heater to keep the bath warm. That and the 3-story jumper who was juuuust shy of breaking the skin after pulverizing their innards.

The brains are wonderous, and what we put in them and have them fixate on is important.

I really, really, REALLY wish I could unread the Jolly Rancher reddit story.