California coffee cups to get cancer warning

2 Likes

From the headline I thought the problem was the CUPS.

Like, maybe the glue that seals those Starbucks paper cups together?

Guess not.

6 Likes

Especially since it is false. Lighter roasts have higher levels of acrylamide than darker roasts.

Added: I thought I’d better add a citation here.

9 Likes

But no warning of teeth stainage?

4 Likes

So according to the judge I’m basically dead? I needed that warning 25 years earlier.

2 Likes

Not so much the action of those who voted for Prop 65, or of the regulators who administer it, as of one particular ambulance chaser.

A web search on

Council for Education and Research on Toxics, a nonprofit group based in Long Beach.”

reveals that it shares the same address as

the Metzger Law Group

which advertises itself as

California’s Toxic Tort Law Firm

and has a long history of lawsuits (some of which may be valid) against employers for unsafe working conditions.

My guess is that some big attorney fees, oops, heroic law suits against Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are in the offing.

Californians - enjoy your coffee shops while you can.

2 Likes

coffee substitutes are worse.

5 Likes

Thank you for posting these numbers.

If my math is right, and one microgram = one millionth of a gram, then if I drink eight cups of coffee a day for seventy years, something less than one-tenth of a gram of acrylamide will have entered my system as a result. Maybe this poses a statistically significant health risk, maybe not.

I wonder about the risk of the sugar people spoon into their coffee, as compared to the coffee itself. Californians, does the bag of sugar in your cupboard carry a warning label?

2 Likes

Really? Mine is green tea.

:wink:

3 Likes

Not so fast Millie…

Time to chuck everything and get into the Prop 65 warning label business. Every product is required to have one. It’s like selling shovels in a gold rush.

I tell you, I got vision and the whole world’s blind.

Will probably have to put a Prop 65 warning on my warning labels, though.

2 Likes

Not so fast dommerdoodle! I don’t smoke, and I don’t drink alcohol excessively. Drinking tea is apparently only a cancer risk if combined with those risks.

From your source:

The findings suggest that tea may contribute to cancer formation under the right circumstances, Lv says, but it’s probably not the main factor at work. “It’s important to abstain from high-temperature tea in excessive alcohol consumers and smokers for esophageal cancer prevention,” Lv wrote in an email. “Of course, keeping away from both tobacco and excessive alcohol use is the most important means for esophageal cancer prevention.”

AND!

tea has been singled out many times in the past for its potential cancer-fighting abilities. Green tea, in general, is associated with a lower risk of cancer.

3 Likes

My doctor once told me that if we didn’t die from things like viruses and accidents first, everyone would eventually die of cancer—because our cells just can’t keep on duplicating without developing glitches and doing goofy things.

As they say, the leading cause of death is being born. :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe just after first crack?

Also, which research are they citing?

My guess is this one. There’s also the one @jerwin linked, also Chapter 24 in this book and Chapter 69 of this one.

Right? Next thing there will be sticker on vehicles, “Warning, improper operation may result in death or injury.”

1 Like

a lot of warnings are getting feisty.

Had you going tho. You had to go and look it up…:grin:

No prob there, always glad to have the healthiness of my habits confirmed. :sunglasses:

1 Like

As long as you don’t mind all that aluminium in your tea.

1 Like

“All that”? Meh.

Assessment of the mineral composition of green tea is helpful to estimate the intake of toxic metals and bioelements associated with the consumption of infusions. Based on the FAO/WHO recommendations, we showed that consumption of green tea from China, Japan, India, and marketed tea is not associated with health hazards related to exposure to heavy metals such as Cd. Consumption of five cups of green tea per week does not pose a risk to human health.

3 Likes