California coffee cups to get cancer warning

Whatever helps you sleep better.

Yep, “whatever” indeed.

Edit: actually, with so little caffeine, I do sleep better.

2 Likes

Guess I’m dying of cancer, then.

I guess the answer is to ban cooking food, since that evil Maillard reaction causes all de ebil in da worlds. Seriously, does anyone believe in a zero risk life? Is there such a beast? As has been stated upthread, if everything has a warning label, and there is no concept of relative risk, then the label is meaningless bureaucratic nonsense.

4 Likes

This report discusses parts robusta and parts arabica in an industrial roasting process. Again- it opens up more questions than it actually addresses. Apples and oranges.
From what I have read from comments in this thread, this seems less like an attempt to inform consumers and more like a shakedown of Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.
We’ll see what happens with it in the next few weeks. When in doubt, go to your local small roaster and they’ll be proud to explain their product. I dare say that the big producers can probably do without our patronage anyways.

Maybe just after first crack?

Again- which coffee and how did I get to first crack? People think there’s one “recipe” for coffee. I throw in the beans, push the button and brown stuff comes out the other end. Its more complex than that.

Of course that’s what it is. The lawyer who brought the case is a heavy coffee drinker.

Again- which coffee and how did I get to first crack? People think there’s one “recipe” for coffee. I throw in the beans, push the button and brown stuff comes out the other end. Its more complex than that.

The quote in the article was from someone in your industry, it was his description, and I’m pretty sure he knows how the roasting process works. I’m not sure why you’re getting your back up about my answer (or why you’re now deleting all your ealier posts).

I agree.

At the same time, it occurs to me that maybe we (the general “we”) don’t have enough recognition of cumulative effects of our actions over a lifetime. We tend to think “This one [cigarette, cup of coffee, slice of bacon, etc.] isn’t going to kill me” and that’s probably true…but we think it anew every time, and ignore the patterns of our consumption. Same, I suppose, with things like disposable packaging, and then we have a miles-wide garbage patch in the ocean…

So yeah, if you’re (meaning the general “you”) not one who overdoes it, then the label probably isn’t for you—the labels are food for thought, I guess, to help keep folks from getting to the point of actually overdoing?

1 Like

Cocacola contains a known carcinogen. Shouldn’t Cocacola cans have a cancer warning on them too?

I graduated with Dr. Beaker.

2 Likes

Beyond the merit or lack-of-merit of warnings on coffee—

One thing maybe the widespread use of warning labels might do is help us get beyond just thinking about ourselves.

When I see a warning label, it’s true that I usually think “Well, is this one thing really going to hurt me? Nah, I don’t think so. I’ll buy it anyway—it’s not like I’m going to be using this thing all the time.” But I also think “Man, what about the people in the manufacturing plant, who are working with this stuff every day? It can’t be good for them, day in and day out.” And I think “I wonder how the excess from the manufacturing process gets disposed of? Does it get into people’s water sources?” etc.

Like the frog in boiling water, it seems our use of toxic substances has slowly increased and we accept it. One manufacturer does it, and makes/saves money, and similar manufacturers have to take on the same methods to stay competitive. Soon you can’t buy anything, it seems, that isn’t made with toxic stuff in it.

The hammer pictured above is a good example. Obviously it’s not the hammer, it’s what the cushion on the handle is made of. Well, everyone likes a cushioned handle. Even the cheap tools come with the rubber-like cushion that’s made of toxic stuff, now.

It may not be until enough people get enough awareness that we’ve surrounded ourselves with harmful stuff of our own manufacture, that people will agitate for change. Maybe the labels will help us see beyond just ourselves, and get beyond the idea of “It’s not hurting me, so who cares.” Enough labels may finally make us realize “Hey, this stuff is everywhere!”

1 Like

Continuing to buy into the “everything is toxic” and its “everywhere” mindset will lead to life in a bubble, paranoia. Trying to live a life free of risk is denying yourself the joy and happiness that comes with recognizing a true hazard, versus fearing everything. Guns are everywhere. Corrupt cops are everywhere. The air we breathe is full of toxins. Our water supplies are being tainted by “chemicals”. Airplanes are spewing mind control chemicals.
Don’t let the Alex Jones types and Faux news get to you.

1 Like

That’s not what I meant. I’m sorry it read that way. :disappointed:

1 Like

Maybe it read that way because it was misread.

I read it differently, and I appreciate your spelling out some similar thoughts that I’ve had. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

Prop 65 is a cash cow for testing labs and lawyers. They threat and if you don’t include the stupid warning they sue.

It’s also been established that the same risk level for esophageal cancer exists for drinking very hot water (which is a thing in some cultures). So my take-away is, its not so much the tea, per se…

Yes, I thought that too. And green tea isn’t even supposed to be made all that hot – supposedly destroys something beneficial in it, i forget what.

3 Likes

Except the study you posted only told part of the story. R. A. Smith, et al, found the same results for Hot water, so tea may have nothing to do with it.

2 Likes