California lawmakers reject "John Wayne Day" because John Wayne was a racist creep

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Republican State Assemblyman Matthew Harper of Huntington Beach should be running for re-election soon.

4 Likes

MDC knew the score!

2 Likes

ā€œOpposing the John Wayne Day resolution is like opposing apple pie, fireworks, baseball, the Free Enterprise system and the Fourth of July!ā€

While Iā€™m glad the measure was defeated, I canā€™t really disagree with him too much. Iā€™ll quibble with apple pie and baseball, but the rest of the list pretty much stands condemned, as far as Iā€™m concerned.

8 Likes

I wonder how many of Wayneā€™s problematic personality traits will make it into AMCā€™s adaptation of Preacher. (Even in the comic book the specter of Wayne tried to toughen up the main character by calling him a ā€œf*ggot.ā€)

Also, is there something about being a cowboy actor that makes people more likely to be neoconservative nutjobs in real life? The only prominent exception that comes to mind is Robert Redford.

6 Likes

He did know he could be dead wrong, and ā€œhe believed his lung cancer to have been a result of his six-packs-a-day cigarette habit.ā€

13 Likes

And heā€™ll win. Huntington Beach is next to Newport Beach and the entire region is solidly Republican/Libertarian. Donā€™t let the surfer thing fool you.

4 Likes

Wait just a minute now. . . if I understand conservative ideology, ā€œSelfishnessā€ is the highest virtue a person can aspire to (q.v. Ayn Rand et al.). . . so John Wayne was expressing a pro-native American stance. . . right. . . ?

Have I misunderstood conservative ideology. . . ?

20 Likes

Shockingly, apple pie was not invented in america. Neither was baseball.

11 Likes

Huntington Beach is where the ā€œcranky Republicanā€ branch of my family tree lives. It also sports a thriving Hummer dealership despite a lack of local opportunities for off-road driving.

7 Likes

You mean some Hummer owners actually take them off-road?

18 Likes

Thereā€™s something to the mystique and rose-colored-glasses nostalgia for cowboys (versus Indians) that attracts a certain kind of actor, maybe?

5 Likes

Yes, if you count ā€œthe company which owns the models they put in those TV commercials.ā€

6 Likes

Just to get on topic for a moment, fuck ā€˜the Dukeā€™.

He was a complete wanker, just like anyone who thinks there should be a day named after him.

12 Likes

John Wayne was a draft dodging turd. California should honor James Garner., Now there is a real class act. He not only fought in the Korean war, but he went on to be antiwar. If you ever watch Rockford, you will see that he always attempts to avoid violence and deescalate the situation. He knew the consequences of war and violence first hand, that was why he was not full of empty bravado, unlike Wayne.

32 Likes

How does anyone have time for a six-packs-a-day-habit? Thatā€™s pretty much smoking constantly from the moment you wake up until you go to sleep. Ugh. Iā€™m surprised his hair wasnā€™t yellow from the tar.

10 Likes

ā€œSupporting the John Wayne Day resolution is like supporting terrorism, cyberterrorism, the holocaust, child molestation, child terrorism, and whispering the word ā€˜ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€™ into the ears of random people on the street.ā€

18 Likes

As it seems to me, selfishness in the conservative ideology has two subcategories. If the conservative individual is trying to protect their own resources my any means possible, regardless of reason, then this is just their God given right to protect their property, etc, and this is a good and proper thing. If, on the other hand, someone who has something the conservative desires, such as land they refuse to sell, or the personā€™s remaining shred of dignity, then that person is selfish and obviously a horrible human being and completely unreasonable.

21 Likes

I hope to be proven wrong, but I expect that adaptation will suck for a bunch of reasons. I am very, very skeptical of Seth Roganā€™s ability to treat the material right. My fear is that he wants to prove he can do action. Also the casting for Jesse seems wrong right from the start.

Ah well.

And according to the movie, he was a total dick to Trumbo.

4 Likes