California man charged for selling counterfeit covid vaccine cards

3 Likes

Could also be a 60s (or perhaps even earlier) question; sticker books existed even then.

1 Like

The vaccine cards themselves appear to be trivially easy to forge, there’s nothing special about them. No holo stickers, no stamps, etc. It’s just standard card stock with some basic prints and designs on it, i would presume there’s a whole lot of fake vaccine cards out there. If i was the anti-vaxer type i could make one at home with no effort

4 Likes

They weren’t designed to be difficult to forge because designing and producing forgery-resistant documents would have slowed the vaccine rollout process, and people fighting the pandemic didn’t foresee a situation in which many people would want to forge them. Why pretend to be protected against a potentially deadly disease when you could actually be protected against a potentially deadly disease?

12 Likes

There’s a number of people that have false information about vaccines but i also know a number of people that have a lot of apprehensions about the safety of the vaccines due to them being fast tracked. There’s plenty of incentive to forge them and the comically low barrier to do so is an issue, that said even if they had made it harder to forge there’s still a market for such things but at least people can’t just make them on a home printer.

Humans don’t behave logically

5 Likes

People that were kids in the 80s. At least in Italy the sticker book of football player is still published, but the target now is 50 year old guys.

3 Likes

When I was still employed and working with high school students I got a lot of mileage out of stickers I picked up at the dollar store.

4 Likes

I’m sure we still get annual sticker albums for Soccer over in the Old World; with extra ones for major tournaments. I’m sure that if I’d spent my pocket money on them, rather than on sweets, I’d look more like Gordon Banks, and less like William “Fatty” Foulke.

2 Likes

That’s why I made a special point about having my doctor double check that the vaccine shots were entered into the state registry by the pharmacy and asked him to put it in if it’s not there. When the passports start rolling out that will be the main data source.

Doctors who can judge whether or not their patients legitimately got the jabs are the only way to protect the integrity of the process at the moment (which I think is unfair to them).

8 Likes

GirlChild and her elementary school cohort are into “stickerbombing” their property (water bottles etc…), which is using a million stickers to wallpaper said item.

…Also I saw the word “executed” and got a bit excited… Oh… executed a warrant.

6 Likes

That’s funny because when I got the shingles vaccines last November, my pharmacist tried to enter it in the state registry and my file had been locked. It was most likely done by my doctor’s office when I got a flu shot from them in 2019. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It was a minor PITA to get my file unlocked. It’s also a bit unnerving that one healthcare worker in your doctor’s office can accidentally lock down your state vaccination records. Fortunately, we got it unlocked before the covid vaccines rolled out.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.