The German, too.

5 Likes

Sea lion is the word(s)

3 Likes

It isn’t named after a pig somehow?

1 Like

A bit longer ago, but that’s pretty much exactly what they are

2 Likes

There has been a steady moving of the goalposts for at least a century and a half where “intelligence” and other terms like it get redefined to “whatever it is that only humans do.”

3 Likes

A “Sea Piglet” (Meerschweinchen ) ist actually a guinea pig! A (harbour) seal is a Seehund (sea dog).

6 Likes

9 Likes

We’re a very literal people

4 Likes

Of course this thread is about “Sea Lions” so English isn’t all that different when it comes to naming animals.

4 Likes

Of course this is neglecting such animals as the nose bear, the nose horn, the spectacle bear or the river horse (or Nile horse).

4 Likes

Porpoise is called a sea pig (morświn) in Polish.

4 Likes

It was because the guy who coined the term had just learned about the BM gang and then began to see it everywhere (this was in the early 90s, I think).

1 Like

Gotta say, though, the very last guy in that clip looks like his landing is defintely NOT going as planned.

2 Likes

Obligatory:

3 Likes

Is German for Sea Lion, "Seelöwe? I’ll admit that my very limited knowledge of German mainly comes from be raised on a steady stream of WW2 Movies and Documentaries back in the 1970s.

1 Like

Indeed it is

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.