California sea lions surfing on enormous waves is the video you need today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/17/california-sea-lions-surfing-on-enormous-waves-is-the-video-you-need-today.html

13 Likes

Excuse me, but I was just going to surf this wave. Do you have a logical reason why it wouldn’t be permitted? If not, then why are you taking that particular stance? I’m just curious.

11 Likes

I want to be a sea lion.

6 Likes

Aw, man, they lost their boards . . .

4 Likes

Most days, I would wish to fly like a bird. But a day like this, I’d rather surf like a pinniped!

9 Likes

If a seal is a pinniped, surely seals are pinnipodes? :wink:

4 Likes

They look like dogs who went to the beach 100,000 years ago, and refused to get out of the water.

32 Likes

Too coo!

3 Likes

I recently saw something saying that the Hawai’ian word for seal can be translated to ocean dog. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well, 45 million years ago, but otherwise right on the money…

9 Likes

5 Likes

I’d somehow missed the term “Sealioning” until about two days ago, now I’m seeing it all over the place. Can you explain why that is?

3 Likes

All hail Wondermark

Also, that’s the Baader Meinhof phenomenon…

11 Likes

I’d like to think that there exists an innate need to have fun in all living creatures. Just because I’d like to think that doesn’t mean a damn thing but I’d like to think its true and that’s just good enough for me. Feel free to have fun disagreeing with me if you do.

sp.if

5 Likes

All the animals we say are “intelligent” have various forms of play.

4 Likes

All in all it’s unfair to sea lions.

For the meaning, I’d say Honey Badgering is a perfect fit

3 Likes

I always get slightly bemused when people have a problem with animals being described as having fun. I wonder why they think humans are the only animal with a capacity for fun. That seems far more absurd to me than non-human animals showing similar traits to humans.

4 Likes

Anthropomorphizing is a valid critique for some descriptions of animal life, but I wish there was a word for the opposite problem, where a human observer puts a human behavior in a distinct class all its own, far away from any such similarly observed animal behavior.

If humans could more easily see ourselves as animals, we’d be less likely to destroy the planet’s carrying capacity, and less likely to think ourselves immune from the laws of ecology.

8 Likes

“religion”?

8 Likes

Wow that is an incredibly strange, completely out-of-context use of a name - especially one with such extreme baggage. Even ‘Streisand effect’ has to do with something she actually did. Using BD / RAF cuz some random dude wasn’t up on his “I’ll take Militant German anti-capitalist leftists from the 70’s’ for $600” historical trivia is just bizarre.

3 Likes