California state employees may no longer use state funds travel to states where LGBTQ discrimination is legal

That funding is to the university, and then the university - a branch of state government if it is a state institution - cuts a check to you. So it should apply. Likewise it should cover athletic travel even if that money ostensibly comes from donations.

I’m torn on this. It has occasionally been difficult to organize conferences where I am because some agencies classify it as a resort destination and forbid funding activity here, so I know what it is like to be on the receiving end. I am also mainly opposed to the BDS boycotts. OTOH I think there should be some material way that people outside regressive states can express their outrage at their policies.

3 Likes

You think this is easy? There are tens of thousands of academics in red states who would move to a job in California or Massachusetts (even an ostensibly inferior job) tonight if it was possible.

11 Likes

I am hopeful, though, that we might be able to talk to the mayor of the city where it is about local ordinances. But TX has been cracking down on local control, especially where it comes to fracking and human rights.

Yep, I would abandon all my shit and run if I had to. My state might become the second or third to ban tenure.

5 Likes

So, people who can’t vote should suffer the consequences of what adults have done? Really? I’m not sure that’s fair.

8 Likes

Indeed, those of us on or about to enter the job market know we’re fighting over a dwindling number of TT positions and have limited options.

4 Likes

Who said the students were bigots? 0_o You’re branding the whole state as one group think?

o_0 I guess it depend which definition you pick. I meant condone as in approve. Staying in a state with a law you don’t agree with doesn’t mean you condone it.

Which state do you live in? Which country do you live in? I bet I can find laws you don’t condone either.

5 Likes

con·done
kənˈdōn
verb
accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.

There are plenty of laws I disagree with, but you can’t say you don’t condone the ones you get to vote on if you stick around.

Doing the right thing often isn’t. Should that excuse doing the wrong thing?

So, seriously, if a law is passed a person disagrees with or that infringes their rights the only option that’s acceptable to you, if the person gets to continue to have a political say, is to move? How well off do you think most of the world is? I’m doing okay and I probably can’t afford to just pull up stakes and leave at a moments notice. And there are other reasons other than financial that play into that too.

10 Likes

You’re saying that professors in these states who oppose these laws should be ready to give up their academic career, maybe go work as grocery baggers and pump jockeys in blue states?

4 Likes

I think the point is not specifically to hurt people, but more to say: “fix your problems or you’re a dead zone to us”.

1 Like

o_0 so I assume you didn’t vote for Trump and are leaving the US, lest you condone his winning?

So no, there are lots of laws I have to adhere by that I don’t condone. Some of them even voted on. Like I said, give me your state, I will find you some.

Heck, your suggestion is ridiculous because the only way for a bill you want to pass that failed initially, or to get one repealed, is to stay and vote on it again and/or vote in new legislators.

3 Likes

I’m Canadian (and single ladies ;)).

But that does mean you’re condoning the status quo, and if someone from outside decides not to do business with you because of it, you harden up and accept that consequence.

WTF?

You stay and fight for what you believe in. One just doesn’t get up and move because some stupid ass bathroom freakout law. Moving away is cowardly and is not helping the fight for the greater good. I am guessing that you no stakes in your community, no pride in your home or perhaps just transient. People who have stock in their families, communities, towns and cities don’t generally give up because of some stupid “I’m afraid to pee next to someone different than I am” law.

If Trump can piss, get pissed on, watch or whatever in mixed company so can the rest of us. I don’t see the alt right running around to pass laws banning golden showers.

4 Likes

I am proud of my home, in no small part because that would never happen here.

I didn’t say that. I said that was what they would need to do to claim they weren’t condoning it.

Are you opposed to the concept of sanctions entirely? That seems a bit of a fringe position.

Never say never my Northern neighbor.

3 Likes

Yes, I notice we’ve got our own idiot from a reality TV show running. Tables will be flipped if he gets anywhere near 24 Sussex.

His suggestion is wrong. That isn’t how you enact change. Doing that would have the complete opposite effect of what you want.

Case in point:
California

2008 - Proposition 8 was passed, making marriage only between a man and a woman. This was voted on by the populace. Thus by his logic everyone who didn’t support Prop 8 should have moved.

But people stayed and things changed and SB 1306 passed in 2014, and SB 1005 passed in 2016, which opened up the law to same sex marriages as the law was redefined to be “a civil contract between two persons”.

You know, SB 1005 came into effect January 1st, 2017. And SB 1306 on January 1st 2015. It is kinda a hypocritical move to want to hold others to the same standard you yourself have had for only 2 years. At leat the Canadian can laud the fact they legalized it in 2005.

No it doesn’t. Not in the least. I guess you condone a British monarch on your money, for one. Sending troops to the Middle East? Mt Dew with no caffeine? Losing a vote or having a law passed you didn’t like and living with it isn’t the same as condoning it.

And I wasn’t talking business. I was talking academics. I said twice that for it to have any real effect it would need to be business - which was fine.

5 Likes

Yes, I do, and the only one of those I disapprove of is the troops.

Why would there be caffeine in Mountain Dew?