California State lawmaker Miguel Santiago says he's a Democrat, but he's single-handedly killing state Net Neutrality

BTW: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

Follow link to your rep!

2 Likes

honestly net neutrality is too new and nuanced to be part of a party platform.

once you understand it though, it becomes obvious that without net neutrality there will only be a few major players in the industry and the innovation on the web we’ve seen for the last 25 years will slow down.

7 Likes

Communications sent to both of my CA reprehensibles (one of the state’s red areas). I’m sure I’ll get a disingenuous form letter back telling me passive-aggressively how I’m wrong but they know best, but dammit, I had to try!

2 Likes

Does being a Democrat magically make one immune from the influence of telecom cash?

2 Likes

Looks like this fella just ruined it.

It’s a bit funny to see a site (a person) who frequently wants members of one party (Republicans) to resist the party line doctrine, suddenly become shocked(!) at the apparent audacity of a member of a different party daring to not follow what is supposed to be a party line.

Party-line voting is crap no matter which party is doing it.

1 Like

Looks like there’s still Kevin Hee Young Jang, the other Democrat running against him this fall. http://www.kevinjangforassembly.org/

I’m nowhere near LA, but I know how I would vote if I lived there.

I’m trying to decide whether it’s ironic or unsurprising that One Wilshire (occasional candidate for Most Connected Building On the Planet) is square in the middle of his district (downtown LA).

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s why the already-established megacorps hate net neutrality. Yes, this is rhetorical, I know you know that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wish this guy would run for office in Mexico

Sounds like a pretty typical Democrat to me. There’s more who’re like him than not.

Y’all realise that the Democrats run a planned roster of villains, right?

When the Dem donors want to kill a bill that the base supports, they don’t just order the whole party to vote against it. They work out how many Dem votes are required for the desired outcome, then instruct the leadership to provide that many votes.

If they need five votes, then five Dem reps will vote that way. If they need ten votes, then ten will.

And, when possible, they spread those unpopular votes around so that no one member becomes too obviously bought, and distribute them to districts where they think they can get away with it.

It maintains the appearance of a party in opposition to their bastardry, while achieving the effect of corporate control. But the problem is with the whole party, not just whoever voted the “wrong” way in any particular instance.

3 Likes

That’s a compelling conspiracy theory, but do you have any evidence beyond cynicism?

1 Like

I’d be more inclined to characterise it as “an accurate perception of how US politics has pretty much always worked”, but no: it isn’t the sort of thing on which you can easily provide documentary proof.

3 Likes

It must be beautiful to be a multibillion dollar company and know you can buy slash completely corrupt a legislator for the low, low price of $60k. If these legislators would only sell themselves dear, I’d have some respect for them. But perhaps the long game is when they resign and take a position in AT&T itself? Ajit Pai’s next position is obviously CEO of Verizon.

2 Likes

Wow Boingers,
It must really sting to see somebody with a ‘D’ after their name not supporting net neutrality. It doesn’t matter if it’s a ‘D’, ‘I’, ‘R’, ‘C’, or ‘G’.

It doesn’t matter which letter you pick from the alphabet soup because we still have the best government money can buy.:grinning:

I’m inclined to agree with your assessment, but I do think there would be evidence if it was that cut-and-dried. I think you’re describing the effect of the influence of money in politics, rather than an organized conspiracy. If it existed, someone, somewhere in the complicated chain would have gotten pissed off about something and leaked it. Or it would have come out in the Wikileaks hack of the DNC emails.

The end result is the same, but the intent matters.

1 Like

Have you been paying any attention? The BBS is hardly what an informed citizen would call a Democrat-dominated group. SMH.

1 Like

Look, Duke, we’re not on the MAGA Train so we’re all libcucks. That’s it. That’s the entirety of the political compass now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.