California teacher suspended after doing horribly racist and mocking "Native American dance" to teach math concepts

And that would be one of the ones we don’t teach anymore!

10 Likes

King Phillip Came Over From Greece Swimming.
I still use that one at times!

7 Likes

Civil Disobedience Myanmar GIF

32 Likes

A teacher was acting like a racist idiot and a student was (illegally) recording it for evidence. Not sure what’s unclear. :woman_shrugging:t2:

27 Likes

Same here. Never even heard of associating the two. Maybe a newer thing?

3 Likes
7 Likes

weird to me is that ive never even heard of this, while it seems common to everyone else here.

not saying it’s bad to have an acronym but it sure is a strange way to teach the principles of trig: like here are some random words, instead of here are some angles and some circles split out into curves.

separately, it’s depressing that this teacher made an “indian costume” for this. clearly this is the sort of thing she took time with and must have talked about, and no one in her life said no. :confused:

[edit] on reflection, i realize i do use my own reminder that “sin” is opposite ( as in sins are the opposite of what you’re supposed to do. ) co- is such a common prefix, and tanget such a common word i don’t think i have any for those.

( more important would be a reminder that mnemonic starts with “m”. eesh. thanks for the assist google )

8 Likes

Which opens the door for another episode of:

Suspend the Victims!™

17 Likes

Part of me feels really sorry for her. She was probably trying to make it fun for the kids without thinking through the negative impact of her actions.
In Jr High 1970 we had a brother and sister who did a Native american dance. It was cool and the kids appreciated it. Me being one of the kids. Then one day one of the PE teachers was teasing the guy about it. And the kid body slammed the teacher up against the wall. I did not feel sorry for that teacher. He got what he had coming. And the kid did not IIRC get into any trouble.
This woman, I feel sorry for her cause I suspect she now understand just how horrible what she did is. And I want to think she feels horrible about it.

1 Like

You’re far more forgiving than I am.

I can’t in good conscience give a pass to someone whose primary responsibility is being the adult in a room full of minors AND imparting some sort of knowledge upon them because they “weren’t thinking.”

She hasn’t “been thinking” for approximately 9 years, if the yearbook posting is to be believed. There’s been a lot of change in the past 9 years. Hard to imagine that the thought never crossed her mind in all that time.

9 Likes

Confused Jon Stewart GIF

Bbc No GIF by Line of Duty

She’s an educator. I don’t see how she could have gotten through her program in college and not be introduced to the concept that enacting racist things are hurtful to the children under her care. How can anyone not be aware of that, given how much of our public discourse is about these kinds of things.

But how do you think the kid who filmed this who is of Native American ancestry feels, though. That his ancestors are not worthy of being treated with dignity and respect.

18 Likes

Well, apparently a California teacher was doing a horribly racist and “Native American dance” to teach math concepts and then got suspended but if you’d rather complain that there is evidence that a California teacher was doing a horribly racist and “Native American dance” to teach math concepts then you do you, dude.

23 Likes

Here in the UK we used to learn “Two Old Angels Skipped over Heaven Carrying A Harp”. My daughter now tutors children in maths, and tells me that it’s now “SOHCAHTOA”. I think the old way is more memorable.

3 Likes

Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest

3 Likes

cady heron raises hand GIF

9 Likes

Literally her job. She can feel bad about it (but my money is on a cancel-culture themed gofundme page), but no one else needs to feel bad for her anymore than any one else who engages in malpractice.

9 Likes

K-Earth plays crappy old fart grandpa songs (probably had to grow up in Los Angeles area to get this one).

3 Likes

Yes, now it’s just taught as Bad Boys…

2 Likes

Sounds legit.

13 Likes

I can’t find an exact copy, but my school math class had a SOH CAH TOA poster similar to this one hanging up for years and years… I agree that it was plenty easy to remember on its own. I only remember the racist caricature because it was so strange.

12 Likes