California to require K-12 students to be vaccinated against COVID-19

Best answer!

2 Likes

I don’t think “logical fallacy” makes sense here. All arguments about reality incorporate unstated assumptions. Whether a vaccine is mandatory or not is determined by experts who weigh the benefit of the vaccine against the harms. I think @theophrastus’s comment assumes that if California is mandating the vaccine then it was determined to meet a threshold at which it should be mandatory. If that is true then they’d better make it mandatory or they do set a really ugly precedent.

There are probably people who believe that:

• the experts don’t actually know what they are talking about;
  • data has been faked;
  • this decision was political against the advice of true experts; and/or
  • everything governments do is cynical and wrong

A person who believes any of that is going to disagree with the vaccine mandate, but not because of a logical fallacy in the argument for it, because they disagree about the nature of the reality that lead to it.

6 Likes

Meanwhile…

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2019-2020.html

Which is too high, but god damn, it’s not over 700,000 in less than 2 years!!!

:woman_shrugging:

And YEAH, we should probably take the flu and other, less deadly illnesses seriously too, by having a health care system that prioritizes the health of the public over the profits of private corporations. I suspect if we did that, we would not have over 700,000 die in a pandemic or 22,000 die from the flu every year…

5 Likes

They can, and should, require immunization against diseases that are dangerous enough to cause a global pandemic, while said pandemic is actively going on. That’s not exactly rocket science.

7 Likes

mood GIF

6 Likes

About. Fucking. Time.

My little one is too young for school but will be getting the vaccine as soon as she’s able…

The wife and I got our boosters and our flu shots yesterday

3 Likes

To me, it seems like ages has passed since the last time a politician’s stated stance (running for, or to remain in, office) so clearly mirrors later actions. The “would-be GOP usurpers” not only got tromped… the very recall itself afforded Newsom a very clear mandate that so far is tromping on those who backed said usurpers!

3 Likes

Istr they rolled them back in response to mmr-antivax types in Marin County and similar

1 Like

That sucks to hear. I remember after the anti-vax movement led to an outbreak at Disneyland around 2015 there was a motivation to get rid of some exemptions. I also remember on the ground there was a lot of push back to keep them. When the Covid vaccines were released I looked again at this map and was disappointed how little progress had been made.

Oh, let me clarify: there were religious and other exemptions allowed under California school vaccination rules, at least to the average extent that most states have them, maybe even a little looser than average.

In response to things like the anti-MMR-vax know-nothings leaving communities vulnerable and causing measles outbreaks, the CA assembly did away with those old rules and made the newer (current) rules much much more stringent.

4 Likes

I don’t get your metaphor at all. This isn’t about assumptions.

Is there a case to be made that requiring vaccination against X is legal?

Perhaps, but that follows from specific circumstances regarding X and the duration.

Any new vaccination against Y requirement must be argued from that, not merely because we already vaccinate against X. the only thing we can take as a given is that a vaccination mandate for Y is possible, because a vaccination mandate is possible.

And that’s not even taking in account that different cultures and legal traditions will value certain things above others.

My country’s constitution, for example, has far less free speech protections as that if the USA, but a high a high emphasis on “human dignity”, which inconveniently makes mandatory vaccination a hard thing to implement.

Yes, there is.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.