Entitled anti-vaxxers weasel around California law to dangerously enroll their kids in school

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/04/entitled-anti-vaxxers-weasel-a.html

6 Likes

Don’t have to worry about aging if you are dead

19 Likes

Kinda the ultimate anti-aging therapy, eh?

14 Likes

Maybe they could cap the number of unvaccinated kids at a certain percentage of the total school population. Then, all doctors who have issued exemptions have to decide together whether a new exemption request is approved and who will be kicked off the exemption list to make room.

4 Likes

Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Nevada City, Arcata, and Sausalito

Hmm. These cities… The naturalistic appeal to nature fallacy is strong with them.

8 Likes

Rather symptomatic of society at large. Money being used game the system, but ends up screwing everybody else. Whether it’s our elections, college admissions, charter schools, pay day lending, etc.

10 Likes
18 Likes

What assholes. I hope the parents of every kid who gets sick needlessly due to this selfish stupidity sue the shit out of the “exempted” parents.

23 Likes

Anti-vaxxers have insisted all along that the medical establishment is untrustworthy. Now they’ve accidentally proven it, but not in the way they intended.

26 Likes

this is weird: I totally agree that people should be vaccinated against measles but I still don’t trust gov. mandatory anything. Because often as not, somebody is getting rich at everybody elses expense. Fortunately I was vaccinated back when govt was on the peoples side so it’s ok (that’s totally different).

3 Likes

Not at all. It doesn’t get older than dead.

2 Likes

Watching the return of measles (and the return of other deadly and disfiguring diseases, like fascism) in the West makes me think I might have to give this a re-read:

12 Likes

Luckily there are no “government mandatory” vaccines. There are “you can’t go to public school without them” vaccines, but no one is kicking in doors to vaccinate kids. And you don’t have to trust the government, which is a damn good thing just now, you only have to believe that science works.

35 Likes

Really? You don’t think drivers must be licensed to drive on public roads, or tobacco vendors must refrain from selling their products to minors?

24 Likes

You know what this reminds me of?

Before recreational pot was legalized, I had a lot of friends who’d go to the weed doctor, pay $130 and be prescribed an allotment for any old random ache or pain.

“yeah man, I need it for my uuuuuuuuuh, hyperhydrosis?”

Gaming the system with sympathetic doctors was a bad idea back then, and it’s a bad idea now. And it goes to show just because it’s for something essentially harmless one time it’s now set a bad precedent.

I was always for pot legalization, but I was always against using doctors to get your way.

12 Likes

It’s an old ploy. Back during prohibition there were doctors who would routinely grant prescriptions for whiskey.

official-whiskey-prescription

20 Likes

26 Likes

A variation on that: each school can have a certain % exemptions. After that his reached, the kids need to go to the next school over. Vaccines work when the population has a resistance to the disease above a certain percent. Make the vaccine effective by breaking up the pockets. This would of course, require the absurdness of a kindergartener needing to go to a school 100 miles from home, given the vaccination rates. Or you know… (insert gif) The best part of the vaccine isn’t the lollipop, it’s where you don’t get sick and die.

6 Likes

Can I double like this?

OMG! I have to do get vaccinated in order to get into a public thing! Oppression! They’re limiting our freedom to not be killed by wholly preventable diseases! Like Ronnie said, can’t trust the gubment, they are the problem! OMG! I can’t say the politically incorrect thing anymore! Even though I actually can, but there’s more social consequences now and that’s oppression! yadda yadda yadda.

Sheesh.

14 Likes

26 Likes