California urges all COVID-19 vaccinated adults to get the booster

I mean, you literally only have to be like 5lbs overweight since the CDC says a BMI over 25 is an underlying condition.

8 Likes

Overweight (BMI >25) is 2/3 of the adult population alone. By the time you add in those over 65 and various other health conditions, as well as high risk occupations I think it is over 80% of adults are eligible by the CDC guidelines.

ETA: According to at least one epidimiologist estimate the number is at least 89%: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/health/booster-eligibility-analysis/index.html

7 Likes

I’m a runner, and I haven’t been able to get my BMI under 25 despite putting in ~20 miles of running a week. I hover just north of the line consistently.

At one point the Biden admin was publicly mooting the idea of opening up boosters to everyone at least 5 months out from their second shot, based on the data coming out of Israel. I know the CDC was acting out of an abundance of caution on the safety / efficacy data (and unwillingness to give anti-vaxxers any factual ammunition in the event of actual booster side effects), but their conservative stance here may be costly once the post-holiday surge sinks its teeth in.

8 Likes

I live in BC; I’ll be eligible for my 3rd shot in about 3-4 months. I’ll take it as soon as I can.

3 Likes

RE: BMI

the ‘traditional’ Body-Mass Index (BMI) is used inappropriately and fails in several specific ways.

I have a much more mouth-frothing, profanity-laced rant about BMI, but it would get me banned here, especially the part involving a dolphin and a goat in zero gee.

5 Likes

Seven hours post-Moderna booster and my arm is moderately sore, but nothing like it was after dose 1 and 2 back in the spring.

No screening questions about eligibility at the pharmacy where I got the jab. They were doing a brisk business in boosters today.

8 Likes

In Ontario, the booster is currently for people 70 or over, or with two AstraZenica shots.

So, Generation Jones screwed again, but they’ll hopefully relax that before my six months is up.

5 Likes

Got mine last Sat as well!

For the second jab, I had really minor symptoms. For the booster, I got lethargy, a transient fever, a really sore arm, and was unable to sleep for a bit because of uncontrollable shivering. Was tired through early Monday.

Would do it again and again if needed to end this horror show that it seems like so many are taking way too lightly.

9 Likes

Roger That!

7 Likes

I thought of your comments while planning for my booster and reading this:

Hopefully, more people will benefit from this misguided system during the pandemic than be punished because of it.

7 Likes

I had a headache that was probably unrelated (get those a lot), lethargy, fatigue, and elevated temp that wasn’t quite a fever. I was able to call in sick and get lots of extra sleep. Next day I felt fine except for a slightly sore arm.
Our kid got her jab as quickly as possible after vaxines for 5-11 were authorized. She had mild headache and nothing else. Not even a sore arm!

7 Likes

… and 30 hours post-booster I got hit with body aches and “I have to sit down right now” fatigue. The fatigue is easing some, but the joint and muscle aches are hanging in there. Hope to sleep them off tonight.

7 Likes

You’re 100% correct, but in this case medical fatphobia can be used to our advantage. My boss had J&J, she wants a Moderna booster but has no other conditions to cite, and Washington isn’t on the “all adults should get it” train yet.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.