California's amazing geographic oddities

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/28/californias-amazing-geographic-oddities.html

7 Likes

One of the things I always thought was cool about California’s geography is that the highest point in the lower 48 states (Mt. Whitney) and the lowest point in North America (in Death Valley) are less than 85 miles away from each other.

21 Likes

The geology is just plain odd as well, since most of it has been the result of tectonic shifting and the rocks seem to come from many, many places.

10 Likes

… also the tallest trees in the world, and some of the most massive waves

I guess that’s technically not “geography” :thinking:

11 Likes
8 Likes

We do enjoy many natural features of the “World’s [blank]est [blank]s” variety.

(Unfortunately that also includes some of the world’s expensivest homes)

10 Likes

“It is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want can’t afford to live there.”

6 Likes

While California’s man-made tourist attractions tend to top the bill…

Today I learned what people from outside California think about our state. SMH.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I suppose we should give the author and Boing Boing the benefit of the doubt but are we sure this article wasn’t written by AI? It kinda reads like a generic listicle and the author’s surname is pretty uncommon…

It definitely sounds like a non-de-plum.

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: AI and hidden advertising on Boing Boing

Ah, you’re good with both examples.

2 Likes

The Channel Islands were originally oriented different than they are now. Orientation of geomagnetic minerals is the evidence. Has something to do with them being on the North Pacific tectonic plate and the California mainland being of the North American plate. I wish I could remember the article I read that in.

1 Like

… and the 3rd highest cost of living in the US. My folks in PA (they relocated from NY) have reminded me of that on occasion with “It’s much cheaper here!” thrown in. They want their boy back. Me? I want to maintain my wits and not die of boredom in Deer Hunter Land.

7 Likes

Many of the tectonic blocks in SoCal have undergone rotation, as has the entire Pacific NW.

The northern Channel Islands also have exposures of a distinctive ~45 my old conglomerate otherwise restricted to the San Diego area…right outside my door, in fact (Poway Group).

Besides the coast redwoods being the tallest trees, the Sierran sequoias are the world’s most massive.

Having cyclotoured through both Lassen and Yosemite several times, Yosemite reminded me of a crowded day at Disneyland, compared to the much less busy Lassen…plus Hwy 89 through Lassen never gets over a 7% grade.

2 Likes

“The world’s blankest blank” is probably Antarctica, though.

1 Like

I’d throw the Farallon Islands on there too.

2 Likes

The Devil’s Golf Course in Death Valley. Salt mounds as far as the eye can see.

2 Likes

Is that six string samurai?

2 Likes