Calling a man "bald" is now considered sexual harassment, rules a judge in England

Originally published at: Calling a man "bald" is now considered sexual harassment, rules a judge in England | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Does it matter if the person in question is actually bald?

5 Likes

16 Likes

That’s a tit-faced lie!

28 Likes

For those few people actually interested, this appears to be the relevant judgment:

No.

14 Likes

This decision is bald-faced stupidity.

Wait…this incident happened at the British Bung Corporation? And calling someone a c-word is “Anglo-Saxon” language? There are so many layers here I can’t even make a(nother) stupid joke for the surfeit of targets!

23 Likes

Or “industrial”, take your choice.

10 Likes

Probably no more than it matters if the person in question has mammary glands, and the commenter says something about “tits”.

6 Likes

Should have called him a shiny headed danger clam, that’s much more SFW.

35 Likes

I don’t see how that is sexual harassment. I could see general harassment, like calling someone fat, ugly, and/or stupid.

10 Likes

And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, “Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.”

And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

2 Kings 2:23-24

(You have been warned.)

19 Likes

That’s it for Curb Your Enthusiasm in the UK.

6 Likes

I’ve managed to lose 50# since COVID started. A friend of mine said, “you know [atl] the first physical impression of you is no longer, ‘that dude is fat’ but instead, ‘that dude is bald.’”

I’m very, very much good with this.

22 Likes

drunk animal house GIF by IFC

9 Likes

Gotta be pedantic about this: bald also comes from Anglo-Saxon.

17 Likes

piebald being my fave usage… like magpies.

7 Likes

Interesting how people spent years pointing out how Deanna Troi was constantly showing off her cleavage on the bridge of the starship Enterprise but nobody ever called out Picard for flaunting his sexy naked scalp.

“Hellooo… my eyes are down here!” –Picard, probably

48 Likes

Stewart got into a Twitter battle with recipients of the “sexiest man alive” award a few years back.

28 Likes

It’s simply due to the legislation.

Harrassment related to a protected characteristic is prohibited.

Gender is a protected characteristic. The tribunal held that baldness is sufficiently linked to being male that it’s an insult relating to gender.

That’s all that’s needed.

Whether it stands up on appeal is another question.

I suspect it won’t, if only because no statistics seem to be cited, just the fact that the judges are all dudes and are bald.

16 Likes

Sexual harassment, eh? What if you call him Harry?

sexy dance GIF by tokyomegaplex

4 Likes