Calls of 'active shooter' lead to evacuation of Century City Mall, Los Angeles police respond to reports of 'Man with a Gun'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/15/active-shooter-at-century.html

“Nothing has been confirmed,” an LAPD officer told LA Times. “We’re trying to resolve the situation.”

3 Likes

Oh fuck; seriously?

ANOTHER ONE???

11 Likes
5 Likes

Is reporting “Man with a Gun” a valid tactic to de-normalize firearm norms? I sure as shit would be terrified if I saw someone carrying in a mall regardless of the law.

4 Likes

Correctly or not, people see mass shootings as something that can happen anywhere, any time, so carrying guns, at least in some parts of the country, has already been de-normalized. What the gun-fondlers smugly carrying weapons in public don’t seem to realize is that as far as everyone else is concerned, the difference between them and a guy about to commit a mass shooting is… absolutely nothing. So people freak out, a response I think the gun carriers are often hoping for.

5 Likes

Does freaking out about someone carrying a gun in public make things worse at all?

2 Likes

Open carry is not allowed in any gun store I’ve been in within the last five years. Food for thought.

6 Likes

Anyone can carry one out, no one can carry one in…
…that is food for thought.

3 Likes

It’s because the store owners have become so distrustful of gun owners’ behavior and ability to safely handle their own firearms.

“You can check out any time…”

2 Likes

Well, worse for the people who get caught up in fearing there’s a mass shooter, when the cops show up. (Though better for them in the unlikely event he actually was a potential mass shooter.) Whether it discourages people from carrying guns when it’s legal, I don’t know. I tend to think it does (I hope it does), in that they’re aware it’s increasingly being seen as unacceptable, and while they want people to be fearful of them when they’re carrying a gun, they’re probably not so hot on the idea of the cops being called on them.

2 Likes

Open carry is allowed in every gun store I’ve been in for the last 5 years. I’m sure we live in different states though.

North Carolina.

Goddammit I really hope this wasn’t “Hey, you guys wanna SWAT a fucking MALL??”

Maine for me.

Looks like a guy tried to set something on fire in the Apple store, and probably brandished a gun when confronted. But no shots fired, no casualties.

Suspect details, w/pics at link:

Arson/Assault With A Deadly Weapon suspect from the Century City Mall incident. Male, possibly Hispanic or Asian, 20-25 years old, 5’8” to 5’10”, 130-150 lbs. He is to be considered armed & dangerous. If seen, do not approach & call 911. Any info contact Major Crimes 213-486-7260 pic.twitter.com/J6ydu3TsVG

— LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) March 16, 2019

We have a lot of halfwits down here.

For that matter, the owner of the nearest shop told me about an accidental discharge in his own house. He was taking a picture of his pistol so he could list it on the internet, hadn’t cleared the chamber, and accidentally pulled the trigger. Shot through a wall into the next room, but luckily no one was hurt.

And then there’s this: https://abc11.com/news/woman-accidentally-shot-in-head-outside-raleigh-gun-show/1615756/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.