Camel's milk: Can it get over the hump and become the next big superfood?

well, youre welcome so say it would be stupid of you to buy it, and to not buy it.

i dont think we will see eye to eye on any equating of taste with intelligence.

Oh…
We’ve had a misunderstanding here. When I said stupid, I didn’t mean that people who prefer raw milk and also know about the small risk it poses are stupid. I was using the word because it was easy to use. Easier than saying that it makes both economic and food safety sense for me to just not buy raw milk.

I honestly don’t mean to offend anyone or call anyone stupid here. And as long as one’s taste is informed, I can’t argue with the opinion.

Except those people who seem to think unpasteurized is synonymous with natural, and that natural means the same thing as the healthiest and best choices they can make.

And even then, those people usually aren’t stupid so much as misinformed and indoctrinated via advertizing policies designed to constantly take advantage of cognitive biases inherent in the culture. A culture which works very hard to instill a fear of thinking too hard about the choices one makes in purchasing food and goods.

2 Likes

Yeah, whatever reason it is that you’re offering for the inferiority of other people. Be it their lack of education, or how hard it is to be careful while speaking, or that straw man you set up on their doorstep. Whatever it is that causes you to use the language of superiority, in taste, education, or sculpture… that is where we will not see eye to eye.

Why pick on people who are no threat to you? Why demean them for their choices? When their choices are wrong -for you-, then -you- should make different choices for -you-. Right?

Most people don’t need to go on about it.

I’m going to take some time to think before I elaborate any further. So I might as well go over the conversation tomorrow when I’ve gained a little more perspective and distance from our interaction.

2 Likes

$18 a pint seems awfully expensive to me. It does go really good in coffee, but I’d not pay that much.

$18 a pint?

I bet the pints of camel spit (which are a lot easier to extract from the camel) are going for much much cheaper!

1 Like

I bet he’s got a spit-proof suit.

2 Likes

There’s pretty much 100% correlation between ‘words that use superfood in the descriptor’ and ‘way overpriced bullshit’.

1 Like

See also: anti-vaxers.

Full of goodness, full of vitamins . . . full of marrow bone jelly.

4 Likes

Seems like @LDoBe did a pretty nice job of walking hir comment back in a non-defensive way. Isn’t that the kind of thing we should be encouraging here?

Hiya Acer and @LDoBe - I didn’t see the exchange earlier because I just dropped on a silly comment at the end of the thread, but having read what was said after seeing @Elusis’s comment, I’m going to speak up a bit as well. I hope no one thinks I’m stepping on toes.

It really doesn’t look like LDoBe was intentionally attacking the people buying milk, but rather making a statement about the fact that pasteurization does its job, and does it with the minimal change of food product possible. It’s the best, safest thing to do. People have, for a few years now, been speaking out against science making us safer in various ways, and well, I can understand LDoBe’s frustration. When people attack those processes, they can have devastating effects. For example:

People stopped getting the MMR vaccination for their kids when anti-vaxxers put out a major scare campaign against vaccinations. So far this year we’ve had 585 cases, and 18 outbreaks, of measles in the U.S. Measles had been eliminated in the U.S. in 2000, and this year’s number is already more than twice as high as the second highest in 2012. Most people who were infected weren’t vaccinated, but some were. A vaccination doesn’t guarantee you won’t get sick, it helps prevent it - but if more people are sick, your chances of getting sick go up. So it isn’t just the people failing to get vaccinated whose health risk changes when they opt out.

We really can’t afford people to have this negative connotation between science, health, and even food.

It may not harm you physically, it might just kill your wallet.

This clip from The Checkout, an Australian “Consumer Reports”-type show talks about “permeate-free milk”. Milk companies in Australia at some point started advertising that they didn’t use “additives” called “permeates”, and that was a reason to pay a higher price for their products. People went along with it, not understanding what permeates are. It turns out that permeate is simply the water base pulled from cream when making cheese, and it being “added back in” is what got done to regulate the percentage of milk fat in milk products. Because permeate also includes vitamins, using water instead of permeate to balance the fat percentage actually gave people a milk that might have lower nutritional value at a higher cost - but hey, they were honest, “NO PERMEATES!”

I do think there was a misunderstanding, and I hope you two work it out. I just posted this stuff here to show that there is a valid concern, and I believe that LDoBe was sincere when trying to express frustration about the fact that people are being deliberately mislead.

3 Likes

Yeah. I was frustrated about the wider issue of the worrisome and accelerating trend in anti-scientific sentiments and attitudes in the US. And I decided to make the BBS my soapbox, instead of addressing @AcerPlatanoides specific statements. I decided to rally against what was really on my mind at an inappropriate time. And it would appear I came off smug and condescending, or at the very least arrogant, regardless of what I meant to say.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.