Camera the size of a grain of salt not much use for surveillance, but great for inspecting urethras

Originally published at: Camera the size of a grain of salt not much use for surveillance, but great for inspecting urethras | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for more rounded edges.

Dont Mind Me Behind The Scenes GIF by 60 Second Docs

7 Likes

Naah, totally inadequate for moisture prone places.
DIN 7/16 is what is needed (22 mm diameter, nut usually 32 mm).

4 Likes

Yeah doc, you gotta take me out for dinner and a movie before I let you put that in there, just sayin’.

2 Likes

Slap on a VR headset and you can feel like this:

3 Likes

great for inspecting urethras

Schitts Creek Pain GIF by CBC

Where the heck was that thing a while back when my doctor said “we’re going to have to look inside your bladder” “oh, and how do ‘we’ do that?”

“No, really, oh you’re serious, any other options?”

6 Likes

2 Likes

A urethra-cam sounds perfect for streaming video.

Have you seen the current alternatives?
pentax-fi-rbs-series-portable-fiber-intubation-scopes-250x250

1 Like

My only concern is that this provides more fodder for the 5G QAnon crowd.

1 Like

It’s still the same device. The new chip fits in a 1mm catheter, so it can be thinner and perhaps less “uncomfortable”.

But it’s still a doctor sticking a thing in places in which one doesn’t normally stick things.

1 Like

Cool tech! However,

It’s pretty useless in the blood stream unless it can be adapted for IR. Blood is opaque in the visible wavelengths. The current camera is color only and even after checking the technical specs at Omnivision it doesn’t specify the wavelength sensitivity. Typical miniature cameras like this actually have decent response in the near UV but tail off severely into the far red much less deep IR.

Yes, one can get peeks of visibility by injecting some saline but that is quite limiting compared to intravascular ultrasound and optical coherence tomography.

IVUS:

OCT:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.