Camo formalwear

Tacky-tical?

11 Likes

“You left me standing at the altar!”

“What? I was right there.”

15 Likes

Kids in rural Minnesota would love this for grad outfits, if it were legal newborns there would get a full body camo tattoo at birth.

3 Likes

I’m undecided as to whether your pick is uglier than mine;

They have different, uh, strengths. You could add a huge crinoline to my pick for that “Scarlett CamO’hara” antebellum look.

6 Likes

I think the bits about “conformity disguised as rebellion” and “entertaining a play-acting fantasy” are holding up in that context just as well.

Camo comes from the military, not from hunting or being rural. I can see that military gear is useful because it’s robust, hardwearing and, well, just made for outdoorsy stuff. That’s just fine. I have surplus military stuff myself for motorbiking, camping, toolboxes, whatever.
But going all in, making wearing camo into a “lifestyle”? That’s a choice, and not a good one in my considered opinion.

6 Likes

If you go out to rural areas, this camo bullshit is everywhere. It’s a huge part of signalling of the toxic stew of marketing symbology, performative empty Christianity, petrol-toys, defiant anti-intellectualism, and enthusiastic racism that passes for culture in those areas.

6 Likes

I’ve been fascinated by camouflage (and AK47s) since I was young child. I lived in Nigeria in the early '70s and there were a lot of both about.

I wanted to do my design thesis on camouflage patterns, but a search on Google didn’t turn up much by way of source material. This was before Google had built-in spell-check and despite my life-long interest in camouflage, I was yet to realise it was spelled with a U in there.

Anyway, when I finally got around to finishing my degree, with my first paycheque I bought this, for what was at the time a shocking amount of pound sterlings…

So, I can’t help but think this camouflage formal wear is interesting and in its own way, cool.

3 Likes

Perfect for fancy dinner reservations at 9pm, and a date with at tree stand at 5am.

1 Like

But when you’re in the military you don’t get to wear camo to formal events.

11 Likes

In 2012 several high fashion houses had some camo stuff. The example is Versace’s and the description is borrowed from Drapersonline. However, the example is different as the suit jacket is not in camo but the other parts are. I’m not a fashionable person myself but I do like the fancy dude’s outfit.

“The Versace show upped the ante on the camouflage trend for autumn 12. It’s been on the radar for the past couple of seasons but it was Versace’s unapologetic use of the print (pictured) that has shifted it into a trend to put money on for autumn 12. Desert camo print was spotted at Vivienne Westwood, and at Missoni the pattern was reworked in floral camo versions. Drapers has seen this trend emerging in both menswear and streetwear for next season, so make sure camo doesn’t slip under your trend radar.”

1 Like

But does it have pockets? And if it does, can you find them?

4 Likes

Likely yes, so you can store your firearm and ammo, and no you can’t find them.

4 Likes

The correct camo pattern for a courtroom varies widely, and depends whether you are plantiff/defendant, in civil/criminal/bankruptcy/family court, hunting for judge/attorney/witness/observer.

1 Like

I’ve seen enough 80’s action movies to know that the proper place to stow a firearm when you’re wearing a formal gown is in your garter belt.

5 Likes

That would indeed be on brand for anyone wearing a camo bridal gown.

4 Likes

There is a long established tradition of having military poncho liners or woobies converted to smoking jackets.

A quick look around the internet shows the level of affection towards these blankets

1 Like

If we let them wear pink stuff, more womens will want to hunt along side their mens cuz . grunt.

(Tho interesting that blaze pink is likely higher visibility, fragile male ego will continue to die in blaze orange).

1 Like

A camo tuxedo for the groom would make sense at a shotgun wedding.

3 Likes

“Who will you be wearing when the commies invade?”

2 Likes

That used to be Hugo Boss’ slogan in the 40’s.

Hahaha, I kid I kid.

But seriously. If you hunt deer/turkey/pheasant, camo clothes makes sense but you have to keep it outside and/or in your vehicle if you don’t smoke and avoid wearing it indoors to keep the scent as low profile as possible. Maybe even throwing them into a pile of dirty leaves to make it smell as natural as possible. But many people just don’t give a shit and wear it everywhere during the winter including restaurants like Burger King or Tim Hortons which pretty much makes no sense unless you’re trying to look rugged or signal virtue about your “rural values”.

3 Likes