Can you carry a 75-inch TV set home on a unicycle?

Originally published at: Can you carry a 75-inch TV set home on a unicycle? | Boing Boing

1 Like

The box definitely looks like it’s empty

11 Likes

It has to be staged because nobody would actually attempt this with something so expensive that they just bought. They would hire an Uber, borrow a friend’s car, hire a Task Rabbit, pay for delivery from a different store, or not buy a 75” TV they have no way to get home. :roll_eyes:. Hell even a bus- I’ve seen people bring large purchases on to buses because it’s what they have access to.

There’s no actual person whose only access to transportation is a fucking unicycle. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

I dunno, but the guy with all the bags strapped to his torso riding the Lime scooter is more believable. :man_shrugging:

Now this is giving me one of those nagging memories…does anyone remember a school in the 70s where all the students rode unicycles in the school setting? Up and down the hallways, etc? I think I remember they had a spotlight on some program like ZOOM or The Big Blue Marble or Marlo and the Magic Movie Machine.

4 Likes

And why was someone there filming the whole thing? In their car.

6 Likes

It’s the same guy in all the videos.

3 Likes

The box is definitely empty, you can tell by how effortlessly he rocks it back and forth about 15 seconds in.

4 Likes

A more believable — but still impressive — sight was the man yesterday carrying a flat screen TV (in box, it is true) measuring about 30” x 48” by two fingers under the plastic strap. I’m assuming that’s all he could fit under the tight strap, and it was easier than actually carrying the box in his arms.

3 Likes

Is it okay if I just quote myself from seven years ago?

Some one had put the dresser out on their curb to be taken for free. We were about a mile and a half from my friend’s house. We had no ropes or anything—I just held his bike while he lifted the dresser on to the rack. Neither of us actually rode the bike the rest of the way to his house, mind you—I walked along pushing the bike by the handlebars, while he walked behind steadying the dresser. We got lots of honks, cheers, and thumbs-ups from people driving by. It was great teamwork, and I really got a kick out of doing it under our own steam, especially since it was something that almost no one around here would expect you to do without a car.

12 Likes

As a matter of fact, I carried my puny 46" TV on the Stockholm metro, after a 0.5 km walk from the store.
Never again.

No way that box is full. It seems to have very little rotational inertia, and at 42 kg shipping weight, those ropes should be cutting through his shoulders like butter.

5 Likes

Not just okay, there should be a badge for it. “BBS Archeologist” or some such. :grin:

9 Likes

The gearing in a unicycle is terrible.
Better to just walk.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Per Amazon, the TU7000 “item” (product with box) weighs 67 lbs, not 92.6 lbs.

2 Likes

Per Samsung, that’s the weight of the TV, not of the package:
And a similar TV, TU8005, weights 40.0 kg with packaging:

2 Likes

Thanky!

Amazon lists (not always) “product” (sans packaging) and “item” (in packaging) weights as separate weights.

Were you earlier saying saying that the TU7000 packaging is 42kg, because that (based on the above) would make its packaging weigh almost 25 lbs!!!

2 Likes

It’s not me, it’s Samsung and a number of shops, and having hauled my packaged TV (46") with my bare hands in the snow uphill both ways I would tend to believe it:

From Samsung’s product page.

Given the cost and relative fragility of such a large panel, I imagine boxes must be sturdy and provide a lot of protection.
I recently got a 32" monitor, and only the cardboard was over 2 kg.

1 Like

Yep they are heavy.

I have a 65" Samsung frame box downstairs and it is definitly not light weight. Heavy carboard with corner and end reinforceing pieces. Plus a lot of foam. I still have the box because it was awkward to get into my crawl space and I’m too lazy to lug that huge thing out again :wink:

It was a pain to solo load/unload the TV into my car. Strapping an even larger one to my back would have been impossible.

4 Likes

Looks a bit like a task for Taskmaster.

2 Likes

Riding a unicycle with 25lbs of not-very-aerodynamic card strapped to your back is impressive to me.

I am easily impressed.

4 Likes