Can you help decipher this note about Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton?

Pretty sure it says:

The fear –
…sky
…feel
…dead
…I fear
losing
my
mind

Maybe @beschizza can confirm.

5 Likes

They should ask any doctors’ association. They all write like that.

8 Likes

Shrinkage!

4 Likes

I just remember a passage from the book "Meat is Murder:An Illustrated Guide To Cannibal Culture " by Mikita Brottman about Royal Navy practice.

Something to the effect that the cabin boys were always allowed on lifeboats. When food ran out, lots were drawn to see who would be eaten. Inevitably, it was always the cabin boy who lost.

1 Like

I am really surprised that I seem to the first one, after 24 replies, to be able to decipher this.

It clearly says ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

10 Likes

So whether in the lifeboat – or on the ship – cabin boys got screwed.

3 Likes

The cabin boy, the cabin boy;
That dirty little nipper.
He lined his ass
With broken glass
And circumcised the Skipper.

4 Likes

I had a fire. The warmest fire.
Someone else let it go out.
Sad.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, only the dogs and later explorations, pony’s were eaten. Penguins and seals notwithstanding.

1 Like

Elder God may not be exactly as shown.

5 Likes

Contents may vary…

“Holt shit it is fucking cold, I can’t believe these assholes talked me into coming out to the middle of BFE…”

Etc. Etc.

2 Likes

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY

4 Likes

Did anyone but Scott think it made sense to bring ponies?

1 Like

Antarctica = Hell. Ponies = infernal beasts [Popehat, 2012]. Makes perfect sense

They accuse me of this hideous thing, but they must know that I did not do it. They must know it was the rats; the slithering scurrying rats whose scampering will never let me sleep; the daemon rats that race behind the padding in this room and beckon me down to greater horrors than I have ever known; the rats they can never hear; the rats, the rats in the walls.

3 Likes

I remember my mum having a Pitman’s book and this seems very similar.

milk
bread
mixed pickles
cat food

6 Likes

Clearly erotic friend fiction.

2 Likes

“Most likely to die exploring Antarctica.” That’s my guess.

2 Likes