Can you help decipher this note about Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton?

The “Sad” just makes the poem.

1 Like

2 Likes

The real question is, why did the British think ski’s were useless? Amundsen was covering 20 miles a day on ski’s while Scott’s party was making footing on shear moxy 5 miles a day. LoL

If you buy Huntford’s ideas, it’s because the British were in love with the romantic ideal: suffering was noble. Amundsen was a thorough planner, which meant he was practically cheating. He was skating over the ice and snow, his man ate well, and he reached the Pole first, but Scott was somehow the real hero. (Because he had the grace to die in the attempt?)

2 Likes

Yes the trait of tribulation was a long Endurance, spiffy pun amirite?

As for the decipher… haven’t read anything about his cryptic messages… might of been Freemason jargon.

“I’m feeling slighty chilly.”

1 Like

According to Wikipedia: Yes.

TLDR:

Sentimentality and hypocrisy. Brits love dogs. Weren’t prepared to work dogs to death and feed the weak or injured to the other dogs (or eat them themselves). The Norwegians apparently were.

Brits were prepared to eat the ponies though so…

Also Scott had used dogs before and it didn’t go well, mainly because they didn’t really know how to travel with dogs. Shackelton had used ponies and it went ok.

1 Like

Pretty much all the discussions about ocean-going Brits at least veer a bit into cannibalism. Must be a tradition.

1 Like

Or an old charter.

You are Robert Rankin and I claim my 5 pounds.

1 Like

I did a dog sled run with Matty McNair up in Baffin Island - she’s an incredible person and tough as nails - and she has skiied to both the North and South poles (different trips, of course) and a couple of times with her kids. They used kites to drag them along, which must have been a hoot. But yeah - skis make so much sense. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matty_McNair

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.