Canada elections

And in Hamilton we have a 150,000 square foot mosque around the corner from my house, which could house hundreds of them until they could…um…

Ok, so refugees then. Is there an issue with refugees wanting “housing” or a clothing allowance?

1 Like

While the LPC pledged to bring in more than twice the number of Syrian refugees as the CPC, I doubt they’ll need housing in a mosque or church. Our national rental vacancy rate is 2.9ish if social housing capacity is exceeded, which it wouldn’t be. We’re only talking about 25,000 people to start IIRC.

All of the churches & mosques who are promoting their efforts at sponsorship (these wouldn’t need the govt sponsored assistances) also typically advertise that they have acquired housing options from their congregations.

I’m not a church type myself, I’m glad they’re doing that and all but I’d be just as pleased if the govt swept up 25,000 and took care of it all secularly.

3 Likes

Not now that JT has upped the tax bill

That’s a funny way of saying that they don’t want to be driven/starved out of their homes and jobs or casually blown up or shot. Well, no, it isn’t funny, it’s run-of-the-mill disgusting nativist bungholery.

4 Likes

It’s sounds actually like you having a conversation with yourself.

Reading his comments as a whole it isn’t possible to distinguish if he’s anti-immigrant or not, despite his fixing on a mosque and on a tax increase that only affects those who can afford it.

His comment about the German and his comment about Ukrainians could go either way could they not? Such that kvetching about a tax increase is just that and that the mosque is a symbol of the diversity the German didn’t see.

See cause I’m learning to be Canadian I can do that. LoL.

Besides which, immigrants contribute vastly even despite that contribution being diminished as employers widen the gap in pay between newcomers and native born Canadians, often using the presence of the immigrants themselves as a wedge to lower the wages of both labour market subsets. If that sort of abuse was reigned in, immigrants would contribute even more both to the economy in general and in tax remittance. Anyone concerned about their tax burden enough to track the changes probably cracks a book now and then right?

I’ve recently had the pleasure of talking to way too many fucking people. So it’s all pretty fresh in my mind the perspectives I received.

While there is a good solid smattering of nativist hate on immigrants smouldering in the piggy eyes of soft & complacent people who don’t know well enough to blame their corporatist masters for the harms they attribute to immigrants, the larger problem is clearly their corporatist masters and the institutionalized racism present in all our larger systems.

Most of the Canucks I met recently were pro-immigration by far, but who wants to talk to them? Boooooring amirite?

3 Likes

Saying “housing and stipend” as their goal is something I’d expect from a five-year-old Texas Board of Education approved textbook on the future-history of the end of Western Civilization. Or someone steeped in nativist bungholery.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 487 days. New replies are no longer allowed.