Canada heads to the polls

Here in Southeastern B.C. PPC signs out for the first time ever but few and far between; they appear to be getting more of the wingnut vote now that the Cons have (reluctantly) embraced vaccine passports. Fingers crossed Bernier’s popularity has grown just enough to act as a spoiler in keeping the OhToole out of office.

3 Likes

Is this a reincarnation of the Rhino Party?

1 Like

Polls are showing a three-way tie, too close to call:

Zaheed Ali Khan sounds like a bit of a lefty, but at least he is thinking of the children.

On his website, Khan boasts of being a “life time (sic) blood recipient.” He says he wants to spend $25,000 to create a Calgary-based internet service provider, which he claims will “create children’s benefits for all of the city,” and wants to plant fruit trees in the city’s parks, “so children can be nourished while playing.”

Will Vizor has some points that will have broad popular appeal.

Vizor wants to “prosecute corrupt politicians who defraud the City of Calgary” of tax dollars, revoke licences for “shady businesses” and seize assets of politicians and return funds to Calgarians, but does not say how he will do so.

He also wants quicker snow removal in the winter.

4 Likes

Since his platform does not include “make Alberta the COVID capital of the world”, yes.

4 Likes

That and “buck-a-beer” sounds like a winning platform to me! Throw in a few lame stickers on gas pumps and it’s a hat trick! :wink:

3 Likes

I admit when I first saw this I couldn’t believe it. Check out this gentleman’s website for more entertainment.

2 Likes

Which is hilarious as Calgary’s growing designation is 4a. Basically cold-hardy apple trees that can survive prolonged -30C.

4 Likes

Naheed Nenshi, the gay, Muslim mayor of Calgary who is resigning after his third term, doesn’t understand your point… but yeah, conceded. :slight_smile: Calgary’s northern neighbour Edmonton, where I live, looks like it probably will go to Amarjeet Sohi, an ex Liberal MP, for mayor. Alberta has a bit of a city/country divide, with maybe a little US style gerrymandering. Rural and small towns being more conservative. Some of the federal ridings in Edmonton are vulnerable if the far right PPC splits the conservative vote (polling as high as 13-14% in places) but then the Liberal - NDP split will counter that. We will see

2 Likes

Not to mention regular hailstorms of the apocalyptic variety:

6 Likes

Ironically, the last time Edmonton had hail like that, I sheltered under our Apple tree while trying to get a sample hailstone . Provided a much needed pruning (of the tree. I was also subjected to a little pruning, but I don’t consider that it was needed). Our apples are not very sweet, unless there’s a late frost, but our neighbour’s tree, purchased at the same time for cross pollination, produces table ready fruit

1 Like

Here in the Southern Interior the PPC are pretty convinced they’re going to win at least one seat. But they don’t really have a lot of signs. I think the guy they’re running is just convinced of his own greatness because he has a group of loud die-hard fans following him around.

3 Likes

These ideas are from someone who has never lived near fruit trees.

Behind my house a neighbor had 2 or 3 apple trees and when it was apple season (Which it isn’t MOST of the year) there were apples everywhere just littering the ground, rotting.

Fruit trees take 5-10 years to produce fruit and then require upkeep to keep them healthy and then harvested during the couple of months they have rip fruit. Random apples at parks with no dedicated harvesting means a bunch of rotting fruit attracting bugs and vermin.

If you want to feed kids - just feed kids. Make a free fruit stand or something.

6 Likes

We had a very old apple tree in our backyard years ago. Our kids hated picking up bags and bags of rotting apples every fall, but it was the only way to keep the wasps in check.

4 Likes

OH and walnut trees. Those are the worst.

Although my grandpa was a master at pecan trees. He could graft different varieties so one tree would make several kinds of nuts.

Canadians- here’s hoping things don’t go too wrong for you tonight.

The only controversy is going to be whether the rock is the party or the leader.

We’re still missing Jack Layton.

Also, we should really have a Pirate Party candidate running:

3 Likes

1 Like

Lol there’s an old tree of unknown provenance on my property here at 3000’ in the E. Kootenay. Granny Smith-like but not…sounds similar. A little on the tart side for sure but great for baking and freezing.

2 Likes

Another nomination.

3 Likes

Lol, I should have read further before posting.

1 Like

Change the banner a bit and you’ve got something like the recent California recall election.