Canada heads to the polls

The effort to get a Pirate Party at the Federal level was difficult. Too many crazies not understanding that the Pirate Party, despite the name wasn’t a joke, or a forum for the totally lunatic ideas. The main leader of the drive thought that they would purge the party of the loonies once PP got official party status. It never happened.

I loved the Rhino Party, kinda miss them. Their intentional comedy was a nice contrast to the other parties inadvertent comedy.

2 Likes

Worked in Bull River one summer in the 1970s…nice area. Swam with horses in a big dugout. They would have liked those apples :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was my Saturday night lullaby as a child.

1 Like

There was also the Natural Law Party (Transcendental Meditation Party), but they were serious. My favourite part was the “flying”. I gotta say, that guy must have had amazing thigh and butt muscles.

3 Likes

Wow. Buddy’s in shape and got the moves, lol.

They did have a good point about working together once a government is formed. That’s really the way it should be. Instead it’s all out war all the time in the States, here it’s more of a hockey brawl but it’s still not conducive to a government that works for all of the people all of the time.

The whole idea of how a democracy works at the moment, with multiple parties refusing to work together productively, needs a bit of a rethink.

1 Like

Doug Henning involved in this as I recall. I remember getting a several page flyer from them in the mail, mostly covered with quantum mechanicy equations. I’m told my eyes resembled rotating hypno spiral disks when I attempted to read it

4 Likes

Looking forward to the day of Canada having a non white Prime Minister, regardless of gender.

The BQ have less than 8% popular vote with 30 seats? The NDP have almost 17% popular vote but have 28

As a young teen with apple orchards nearby, I used to make money by picking “windfall” apples for ~CDN$2 / bushel. Nothing from the tree (“professional” pickers removed all the good apples), and nothing too rotten. If you could pick it up with your hands, into the basket it went.

I was told they went to apple sauce and/or juice factories.

1 Like

It looks like she is coming 4th in her riding. I expect her to be cast in to role of rock.

1 Like

All these candidates for Calgary mayor sound like the obscure crank candidates for London (UK) mayor who I’d never heard of until I looked at the official election booklet.

1 Like

Seems like the results are more or less in.

And the result is pretty much no change. Turns out that Canadians really did mean what they said last time.

2 Likes

The BQ are all just in one province though so their popularity over all of Canada doesn’t match up; the NDP have a wider distribution. FPP sucks.

1 Like

Hey, did everyone hear how nothing of interest happened in Canada yesterday? Nothing at all.

5 Likes

I was not impressed with the Ontario NDP leader when they (predictably) lost a few years ago, and a Liberal government got in, and adopted some of the NDP platform in their policies. Well, the NDP voted against those policies because someone else proposed them. Rather than being pleased that they were able to pull the government to the left, they decided to shit in the pie so nobody could have any, all because they couldn’t have whole pie.

3 Likes

There’s a walnut tree nearby that’s the foundation of the squirrel economy for at least a kilometer. They’re currently having their “The Running of the Walnuts” festival.

4 Likes

I was going to say the same thing. I end up with so many random walnut trees coming up on my property every year because of the squirrels. They’re almost impossible to get out of the ground if you don’t pull them up right away.

The only upside to walnuts is watching the ravens eat them. They drop them off the street lights around here to crack them open.

1 Like
1 Like

…pickled walnuts. Lovely with cheddar or bubble and squeak.

1 Like