Canadian man's official government health file described him as "redneck hick"

Originally published at: Canadian man's official government health file described him as "redneck hick" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m rather pleased that the BB algorithm suggested this related content

7 Likes

@pesco Some stock photos for you:

5 Likes

“uneducated massive redneck pussy”

I believe that the US abbreviation for this is “MAGA”. I’m some areas of the country, the healthcare forms come with the “MAGA” box already checked by default.

9 Likes

Back in my dial-up-tech-support days we had some colourful notes for some customers. I always advised against doing so for exactly this reason here - sometimes customers may see them!

Given the terrible treatment healthcare professionals are frequently subject to nowadays, I am not at all surprised one of them decided to vent this way.

22 Likes

I don’t think this guy should be upset. It’s nothing personal; that description is just entered as the default when you choose “Merritt” as the town of residence.

6 Likes

Red neck is a genuine health concern, though. Wear that sunscreen, yall.

13 Likes
5 Likes

That does not look healthy.

8 Likes

I had a friend years back whose mom told him she found the acronym FLK in his medical files, they were in the military and I guess she had to transfer a copy to the next doctor when they moved. Apparently FLK stood for “funny looking kid”…

5 Likes

They interviewed him on CBC Radio, and he didn’t sound like a “redneck hick”.

Best acronym LOLINAD: little old lady in no apparent distress.

5 Likes

I believe sometimes they put that in there because there are congenital conditions, including some chromosomal conditions, but also things like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which cause characteristic but sometimes subtle facial features.

So sometimes FLK is an an aesthetic judgement, sometimes it’s a note to be suspicious that there might be other things afoot to be looking out for.

7 Likes

Clarification: The description was in a document submitted to Worksafe BC by a physiotherapist. Not an official government document, though it would have been put in his file.

He may well be a redneck hick, but that isn’t particularly relevant. My favorite quote from the article is that he might be ‘uncomfortable’ going back to that physiotherapist.

4 Likes

When I was a junior network engineer still half on the help desk, one of my more experienced colleagues sent me out with to fix a problem for a customer. I went out there with an email with the router config they were supposed to have describing both the problem and what a complete fucking idiot the customer was.

Problem: the config on their router had been erased, and I had to open the email calling him an idiot to get at what the config should be–while the poor guy was literally looking over my shoulder.

(I actually liked the guy. He was prone to going off on tangents but would listen to your advice.)

7 Likes

Should have put it in Latin.

7 Likes

Collum rubrum ruralis.

8 Likes

Burnout is an issue in the health profession, but patients, even uneducated massive redneck pussies, deserve empathy. If the doctor/therapist has run out, that’s a problem.

3 Likes

my brother was doing a short film on medical malpractice in grad school. One doctor being interviewed admitted he used the term, “patient has a high serum porcelain count.” When asked to explain doctor said, “patient is a crock.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.