Weird MAGA is the meme of the hour

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/30/weird-maga-is-the-meme-of-the-hour.html

11 Likes

As noted elsewhere:

Pro forma, MAGA weird is only going to appeal to the usual members of Know-Nothing 27%. Make 70%+ of Americans aware of what Project 2025 and Thiel and Sacks and Yarvin are pushing, though, and they’re going to be repulsed. This is why I’m spreading the word.

ETA: Also the usual hypocrisy in Jesse “Just Joking” Watters suddenly getting outraged over a joke that took on a life of its own.

34 Likes

Having watched the video, my take away is that JD Vance had sex with a couch, 150 times this weeked…

24 Likes

Yeah, the reason Weird MAGA hits so hard is because Republicans have been weird as fuck for a couple of decades, and everyone pretends it’s normal. Normal people thought a bunch of goons in buffalo hats trying to overthrow the government was WEIRD. They think busybodies trying to ban children’s books about farts is WEIRD. They think reacting to mass murders by protecting guns is WEIRD. Everything they read in Project 2025 is WEIRD.

“Do you want to be ruled by these weirdos?” hits normal people like a truck.

39 Likes

And of course, there’s this biggest WEIRDO of them all: the dude with weird hair and weird orange makeup who makes weird rambling statements about sharks and that glorify Hannibal Lecter and “the great gangster” Al Capone.

30 Likes

Obviously Watters is a complete disingenuous a-hole, but it’s really irritating that the story gets boiled down to the inaccurate statement, “Democrats made up a story.” NO! That is NOT what happened! THE INTERNET made up a joke, the media bobbled it and in so doing amplified it, and Democrats are laughing at both while also stating the increasingly obvious, which is that the GOP – especially as personified by JD Vance – is weird.

24 Likes

While complaining that the Dems called them anything while their Con-Mander-In-Chief never stops with the 3rd grade playground antics and names.

18 Likes

There is no “normal”; like ‘perfect’ it’s an unattainable construct that humanity fabricated whole cloth.

There’s good weird, there’s bad weird, and then there’s “average.”

37 Likes

What’s funny is that their defense seems to be “nu-uh, you’re weird!” and then dig up a bunch of weird photos. Like, dude, this is what they were talking about.

Also, you can’t really shame people who are into expressing their individuality by calling them weird. Yeah, we know. We’ve heard it since grade school. But it usually is the good kind of weird. Not the “wouldn’t leave you alone in the same room with my daughter” kind of weird.

18 Likes

What a greasy, unappetizing pile of crap; and the food doesn’t look too great either.

21 Likes

The “weird” division bell here is how furious they are at being seen as it.

27 Likes

Silly rabbits; never let the folks teasing you know that it gets to you - that only makes them tease you even more.

(I guess lifelong bullies don’t know how to handle it when the tables are turned on them…)

39 Likes

This. Sure, JD is weird, but nothing compared to the orange one. If anything, JD is boring.

5 Likes

Conformism is a core characteristic of fascism. To be seen as “abnormal” is completely unacceptable to them.

25 Likes

50 Likes

“When The Going Gets Weird, the Weird Turn Pro” — Hunter S. Thompson, 1974

21 Likes

See?

Prime example of ‘GOOD Weird.’

20 Likes

Ugh! Is there ketchup on that hot dog? That’s weird.

18 Likes

username checks out

16 Likes

“wouldn’t leave you alone in the same room with my daughter sofa” kind of weird.

:scream_cat:

24 Likes