Weird MAGA is the meme of the hour

I can just say that I was aghast the first time I was called a normie.

11 Likes

And I don’t see any vinegar for the fries.

17 Likes

You talkin’ t’ me?

13 Likes

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Keep the pressure on them!

22 Likes

27 Likes

Weirdo fascist edition!

22 Likes

32 Likes

Normally, I would say: People will inevitably differ from the norm in all sorts of ways, so we should learn to appreciate those differences. Thus, calling politicians we disagree with “weird” seems counterproductive, at least in this regard.

But over the last few days, MAGAs have suffered a complete meltdown over the word. They have been unable to formulate a coherent rebuttal to this charge, other than claiming that it is somehow “wrong” or “unfair” to call them “weird.” To be clear, this is a political party that routinely (and baselessly) smears their opponents as “groomers,” “vermin,” and “satanists”—words which are far more dehumanizing and demonizing than “weird” ever could be.

So why the big freak-out over the relatively mundane word “weird?”

I think it has to do with the MAGA worldview being centered on them being the supposed norm. They are heavily invested in the notion that their perspective and lifestyle is the one true and righteous way that all others must follow . Calling them “weird” upends this worldview.

In this sense, the word “weird” is like the word “queer.” These words are not pejoratives if you are comfortable with the fact that you fall outside the norm. But if you call or insinuate that a straight person is “queer,” they will sometimes flip the fuck out. Those who freak out tend to be the ones who believe that straightness is the one true and righteous way that all people must follow. I think “weird” is evoking a similar visceral reaction here.

45 Likes

That’s so unfair. Democrats need to stop doing this immediately. Republicans would never do something this low.

/s

15 Likes

JD Vance is what would happen if Randy Hickey joined Promise Keepers.

randy

6 Likes

It’s heresy, that’s what that is. /silly

Stooping that low would require them to tunnel back upwards, and lord knows they are never going to do that. /snark

7 Likes

Yes! Call them that not because WE think “weird” is bad, but because they view themselves as the most “normal” of humanity… they are not.

22 Likes

A construct designed with the sole purpose to oppress, I‘d like to add.

9 Likes
8 Likes

I concur.

‘Conformity’ is a trait that is necessary under fascism.

19 Likes
4 Likes

Rule of headlines: if the headline asks a question, the answer is “no”

17 Likes

And @frauenfelder… I mean, “Ellsworth Tooey” should know better.

14 Likes

Hell, it wasn’t even “the internet” - it was one person. One internet rando. Everyone else just thought it was funny, because Vance is a creep. (But a sort of quiet, beige creep compared to Donald Trump’s sex offenses etc.) But it just goes to the right’s love of creating conspiracies. If anyone says anything negative about Trump (or anyone in his circle), and it takes off, it’s got to be part of some far-ranging Democratic psy-op controlling the media, if someone takes a shot at Trump, it’s another conspiracy by the Democrats (and not a Republican who turns out to have been extremely right wing, hopped up on violent Republican rhetoric).

17 Likes

My take is that unsettling, off-putting feeling is really an Uncanny Valley like recreation. That feeling when something not human looks almost like a human, but is just a tad short in some way.

The implication here should be obvious.

1 Like