Canadian Tories distribute fake Braille flyers about disabled initiative

Using http://www.brailletranslator.org corroborates what [quote=“MrWeeble, post:15, topic:5558, full:true”]
Unfortunately the scenario falls down because the Braille says the same as the headline for the leaflet “Supporting Jobs for all Canadians”
[/quote]

As both dis- and less inhabit a space generally equated with worseness (it’s a shame that the default association of lessness is worseness, but there it is - there’s not much we can do about that short of re-educating the planet) maybe we should introduce the word altabled to the world. Then only those with fear of ‘the other’ will inherit negative connotations from their own xenophobic tendencies.

I think it’s usually a good rule to stick to whatever terminology the majority of people in any group (race, gender, orientation, physical ability) use to describe themselves. I’m sure someone out there prefers “less-abled,” but no person that I’ve yet met.

2 Likes

Oh right good point.

No, we don’t, or at least no one I know who is disabled. Phrases like “less abled” and “differently abled” are weasel words meant to make non-disabled people feel better about the situation.

it’s a repeat of the brochure headline

It’s also in all lowercase. Apparently, the Canadian Conservative Party does not think “Canadians” is the plural of a proper noun.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.