Candidate for Wisconsin governor breastfeeds in campaign video

17 Likes

So you are claiming it is a statement of policy. Then I say it sets a poor precedent. Should we only take a woman’s support for breast feeding seriously if she feeds her kid in the commercial? Should we expect this as a required act from any woman candidate from now on? “She says she supports breast feeding and working mothers, but can’t be bothered to do it publicly?”

I’m willing to take her word, or even a man’s word, that they think a policy and custom should be updated without requiring them to demonstrate it. I hate to think what would happen if circumcision were treated this way.

1 Like

That’s a really weird stretch. Breastfeeding in public still not widely accepted. A politician doing it, although it may have been staged, is an act of protest. The slippery slope you’re concerned about isn’t even there.

9 Likes

To be expected from the richest third world country.

Ah, so it was a protest. But again, should her stance as a candidate be taken any more or less serious if she films herself breastfeeding vs saying what her policy is? And what of male or elderly female candidates who have identical feelings on the topic? Are they any more or less qualified? How do they make the same protest as part of getting elected? Should I discount them?

I don’t consider it a slope. I consider it a line. A line frequently crossed by candidates (“Here are my kids” “Look at me shake hands with a blue collar worker.” “Watch me point a gun.”) Does is automatically make them bad candidates? Nope. I just find it to be annoying BS. Doubly so by the reaction of people to it. You are entirely entitled to have your own views on the subject.

On the other hand, it’s still far better than cynical BS attack ads. Given a choice, please show me your kids, point the gun, and shake some hands.

1 Like
  1. Good for her! We should normalize breastfeeding every chance we get, and this absolutely works for that.
  2. It would seem to me that it is harder to argue that this was unplanned than planned. I’ve been the dad holding the baby while the mom was not in a position to breastfeed. Yes they cry, yes they can wait ten minutes, yes if the baby is crying loudly enough to disrupt others I would walk away from the situation with that baby and continue comforting. Sometimes they quiet down, sometimes they don’t, but the baby ain’t gonna 'splode as mentioned above.
    3, #2 does not diminish the power, value and benefit of #1
5 Likes

Any public political act against the status quo is a protest, whether staged or spontaneous. But I think you know that.

Of course not, and no one suggested otherwise.

The point is that she is someone who can, and she’s exercising that right in public. She’s part of the group who deserves that right. Do you really not understand the irony of telling someone they’re being too demonstrative in exercising a right you agree they ought to be ensured? You’re the only one policing her on her decision to show her position instead of just saying it. You’re the only one ascribing cynicism to it.

5 Likes

Not a single comment about the BPA topic of the ad?

I mean, sure, breast feeding, wow.

How about science? :frowning:

4 Likes

Nonsense. There’s a woman who needs to be told how to parent and represent her sex. /s

8 Likes

I think this is warping the common understanding of the word “plan” to the point of confusion. Planning is what you do before contact with the enemy/client; depending on your organization, what you do after that is improvisation, creativity, editing/editorialising, panic or whatever. While I agree that some form of agency is present after recording, this isn’t the same thing as planning for an event to occur.

5 Likes

men who are being assed and men who are being asses are probably pretty much opposites in this context. You may wish to correct what seems almost certainly a typo. :wink:

@someguy
I’d take this down given your correction, but one of us had to do this

1 Like

Ah, the irony. Is it policing when you admonish someone for their opinion? Asking for a friend.

My objection is NOT to her public demonstration. It is the use of it as part of a campaign video. And to people, forgive the bluntness, falling for it. Just as I get annoyed by some dude waving a flag and people thinking that makes them a good election choice.

As for no one suggesting that she be taken more seriously because she filmed herself rather than just stating policy, I appear to be mistaken in thinking that was entirely the point of the article. Thank you for policing me.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re saying that all candidates should do in ads is talk to the camera against a blank background (which is so boring and ineffective that no one does it).

If OTOH you think it is okay for candidates to at least do something other than merely talk to the camera, what kinds of things would those be? And why is breastfeeding excluded from them?

9 Likes

gratuitously unhelpful thxbi

1 Like

I completely do not care that she breast feeds or not.

1 Like

So, given the kind of low down shit that most politicians pull, possibly using her status as a breastfeeding mother bothers you?

This is part of the problem here, that women are constantly being held to such a high standard, we can never live up.

10 Likes

I am unclear on the purpose of this line of commentary.

4 Likes

mikeeyeroll

5 Likes

One of the things that including breastfeeding in her ad does is separate those who are OK with it from those who get bent out of shape by it. Seems to work pretty effectively.

5 Likes

Oh, no! Someone is VIOLATING YOUR OPINION! How terrible!

You disagree with someone on a public Internet forum. Grow up. Of course your opinion is going to be disrespected, assaulted, admonished, cleaved, upended, and shat upon. It’s called discourse.

3 Likes