Canon Jesus was way better than fandom Jesus

Obligatory:

20 Likes

[quote]He may not have had a Y chromosome.[/quote]I think I first heard of this less than a year ago, and it strikes me as exceptionally odd. It ranks up there with saying the water-into-wine miracle is unfeasible because it required nuclear fusion. Are we supposed to believe this is a consequence of the immaculate conception, or something? Why not just say he had a ☼-chromosome for all that it matters?

8 Likes

16 Likes

I’ve got a problem with the lack of a Y chromosome, as well. If that were really the case, it would make Jesus a woman with Turner’s Syndrome.

2 Likes

I definitely interpreted it as a side effect of the immaculate conception. I don’t imagine that God has chromosomes, canonically, but Mary sure did.

2 Likes

reminds me of this boingboing post/bbs conversation from 2013…if only they knew how similar they are (actually maybe that’s why it gets so heated…)

4 Likes

It would be fairly noteworthy if YHWH didn’t have chromosomes. He’s got all the other parts a man has (and an extra rib, too). That’s part of his schtick.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Wil shared it, but credit for the funny should go to scarlettohairdye -
http://scarlettohairdye.tumblr.com/post/161796916727/killerchickadee-buttheadhatesthetcc

5 Likes

Jesus and his particular dogma vs the established Jewish religion (and other ones) is odd. Early Christians were essentially commune hippies in the best sense of the word, and were all about loving one another, helping those in need, not focusing on material things… and then compare it to the religious narrative you see in the old established religions. Their God was a vengeful one, demanding sacrifice, violence, and servitude.

It’s also interesting to see how Christianity later evolved over the centuries to add more and more aspects of established religions in order to appeal to more people and to convert them. In their current form the true message of Jesus is lost in all the rules and structure that people have to follow in order to be a “good christian” as they define it.

16 Likes

So far, Jeremy Davies as Jesus Prime (among every conceivable variation by every sect) on the American Gods season final is the most fun portrayal short of South Park.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of this one

7 Likes

Quote mining the bible to support one’s preconceived notions… Even that doesn’t bother me as much as the idea that the entire universe was created as a sort of “trick question” to fool you into damnation if you don’t follow one very particular flavor of religion that you might never have even been exposed to. Is not creation itself the word of god made real? Isn’t it as worthy of study (although as capable of being misinterpreted by fallible humans) as the bible?

17 Likes

I think the idea is that if he had no human dad, the conception would have been by something like parthenogenesis. Which is not known to occur naturally in people, or even mammals generally. It would have resulted in two X-chromosomes. If a Y got in there somehow without human intervention, that would have certainly required a miracle.

2 Likes

John Scalzi’s piece, “What My Jesus Would Do” is always good to bring out in a pinch
http://scalzi.com/whatever/003530.html

6 Likes

Immaculate Conception means that Mary was born without having original sin.

The Virgin Birth means that Jesus was born without Mary having sex.

17 Likes

Evangelicals would be lined up to praise the Romans for their law’n’order agenda

11 Likes

Not to mention their removal of ‘a disturbing deviant that hangs out with whores and preaching free care for the sick and that he’s preaching this touchy feely nonsense. Stop being a pussy stop pandering to those babies they’re not real men™.’

5 Likes

Of course then there’s Medical Error Insemination, which turns out to be more fun that you would’ve expected (as a viewer anyway…)

1 Like

The discussions of Jesus reminds me of the plot to Final Fantasy Tactics, which has some interesting commentary on Christian religion (without it being explicitly christian in the game). In the game there’s a big cover up on their one big religious Christ-like figure, but it boils down to this figure being a regular man, who rose to do incredible things. And how after his death the Church sought to sanctify him by re-writing history to make it so that he was directly a child of the gods, you later find out in the game that there’s rampant corruption in the Church and a lot of twisting of history to serve their needs. There’s some typical JRPG conventions that directly work off of that in the game but the insight was really interesting.

Seeing Jesus in a similar lens, that he was just a regular guy, not some holy figure, might be heretical to most but i personally find that to be more inspiring. That a normal guy was able to deeply affect his current culture and also the future, with nothing but a message of love. Too bad that’s been changed over the centuries to something more complicated.

Sorry for the rambling by the way.

8 Likes