Canon Jesus was way better than fandom Jesus

It ends in Ragnarok, with Fenrir swallowing up the earth and heavens along with ravaging giants laying waste to all known creation until a great sea washed everything away (until a new cycle began anew)?

4 Likes

I always thought it was “Habib” myself.

3 Likes

That is also valid. It fits well with the recurring theme of Jesus giving clever answers to trick questions. Sometimes I like to take a moment to celebrate the lesser-known mutants in the pantheon of jesi(or is it jesipodes?).

3 Likes

Um, the immaculate conception refers to conception of Mary, not Jesus. Mary was conceived like any other human, but was born free of original sin.

7 Likes

Then you missed out on the comic relief scene in which Jesus builds a modern wooden table, and nobody appreciates it because it’s too far ahead of it’s time. Mel Gibson, ladies and gentlemen!

3 Likes

I seem to remember it ending with a bunch of crucified prisoners singing “Always Look on The Bright Side of Life.”

5 Likes

WWJB - Who Would Jesus Bomb?

1 Like

There’s enough room for both to happen :smiley:

1 Like

not necessarily. maybe Jesus is intersex; XX people can occasionally end up with penises.

Why only apply that to the Y chromosome though? Shouldn’t Jesus be missing basically half his genes by this logic?

1 Like

Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

That would be the Y chromosome. X is passed down by the mother. If there is no father then all you get is X.

Nah it’s just Rorschach Jesus.

3 Likes

Humans typically have 46 chromosomes, divided into 23 pairs. Only two of them are sex chromosomes. Why are we focused on those two? Surely by the same logic that says Jesus has no Y chromosome, he’s also missing 22 other chromosomes as well.

1 Like

The Roman system handled them simply. Either:

1. Acquire the new religion and make it the “In thing” for all the fashionable types (which conservatives would hate)
  2. Kill every member they can find, scatter the populations and annihilate their communities (which conservatives would love to do against religious moderates and progressive types, but not against religious extremists. Because they can work with that crowd).

Roman occupiers loved or were indifferent to Jesus. He preached compliance with the law and avoidance of violence.

But apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order… what did the Romans ever do for the Judeans?
http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk/whattheromans.html

4 Likes

Ah yes, it’s been a while since i’ve had to properly think about that. I’m sure there’s some thought experiments one can undertake when discussing a human “virgin birth”. There could be some recombination of just the mother’s genes, but i cannot fathom how the end result could be a normal male person.

1 Like

The number one Monty Python song for when your ship gets sunk from under you.

Hmm… so, on one hand, we have the conventional idea of God impregnating Mary with a son who presumably has an XY karyotype. Alternately, we have God creating a “son” who is biologically “female” with an XO or XX karyotype.

The latter would be interesting, if only for the idea of an intersexual or transgendered Jesus. (Although, I should acknowledge the possibility of a ‘Yentl’ scenario.)

4 Likes

This is news to me either because I was raised Catholic, or because I was a bad Catholic. Not sure which…

1 Like

I think the current terminology is “intersexed” and using “transgender” as an adjective without needing an -ed suffix but yes, it’s an interesting idea to think about…