Canon Jesus was way better than fandom Jesus

Heckin
Jesus Heckin Christ, its the implied Heckin that makes it extra blasphemous.

[ETA] Also…

1 Like

The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, in my opinion, makes Mary LESS of an exceptional person by making her “special”.
What makes Mary SPECIAL is that, when presented with an unthinkable situation by the Lord, she said, “YES!” Not that she was ‘designed’ to be “a pure vessel” fit for the birth of Jesus.

1 Like
2 Likes

You are right. You point out that current-era progressive humanists risk committing the same error as the late-classical patriarchy (and its contiguous descendants) by interpreting textual ambiguities in a manner that affirms their values.

It’s a real and enduring problem with exegesis, whether legal (take that, so-called “originalists”), religious, or even literary.

It’s easy to find confirmation of what we are inclined to believe in the first place.

Embracing ambiguity is hard.

12 Likes

He could’ve danced better than Barishnikov
Jesus could have been funnier than any comedian you can think of
Jesus was way cool

4 Likes

6 Likes
3 Likes

I’ll have to ask my teenage daughter. She has friends from one or both groups who can be vocally pedantic on the proper usages.

One final thought… If we assume an omnipotent God capable of getting Mary pregnant. Does he fill her with holy seed or skip straight to implanting a fertilized embryo? (We know which one Zeus would do, but we’re talking about Jehovah here.)

6 Likes

He subcontracts the job out to the Holy Spirit.

6 Likes

I use both intersex and transgender as adjectives. I also believe that gender dysphoria is an intersex condition.

That happens by a Y chromosome getting mixed into an X chromosome. Mary couldn’t have done that unless she was an XY female, and she would have had no ovaries if that were the case.

2 Likes

Which version of this scenario would an omnipotent God enjoy more, do you think?

1 Like

Therein lies the issue. We know that many gods (e.g., Zeus) are sufficiently hedonistic that they would want to perform the task in a “hands-on” manner. Jehovah, the father of Jesus, doesn’t show these tendencies, however. If anything, it seems like He would take a more “hands-off”, clinical approach and just miraculously make something appear inside Mary.

Maybe the real questions is whether Jesus would have any of Mary’s DNA or if God would just use Mary as a vessel to carry a divinely-engineered embryo?

Personally, I’m starting to like the idea of Jesus as a 4’8" Middle Eastern woman with Turner’s Syndrome trying to pass as a male. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Council of Nicea suppressed all the Jesus K&S.

2 Likes

Well, in all seriousness, the only interpretation I’m really familiar with (as a former member) is the Mormon one, where, in some grand celestial manner, sex between God and Mary actually occurred.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Look, the question of Jesus’ chromosomes can be easily resolved.

Find some sect that still believes in literal transublimation (wine and cracker literally becoming the blood and flesh of Christ), and bring a stomach pump.

7 Likes

That could be the premise of a fabulous musical.

3 Likes

Perfect place for a Kurt Vonnegut quote:

“For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes (Matthew 5). But, often with tears in their eyes, the demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course, that’s Moses, not Jesus. I haven’t heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere.
“Blessed are the merciful” in a courtroom? “Blessed are the peacemakers” in the Pentagon? Give me a break!”

9 Likes

I’ve posted this before, but it never gets old.

12 Likes